Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Kit Reviews > Kenridge Classic Nebbiolo 30 bottle

Old 05-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
Vinotinto

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Kenridge Classic Nebbiolo 30 bottle

Having taken up the 'craft' again after 30 years away and with the grand total experience of two country wines and 2 WoWs under my belt ( and only one of them bottled ) I needed something to fulfil my penchant for a strong full bodied red.

After much research and without going to the £80 + bracket I settled on the Kenridge Classic which promptly arrived yesterday from Creative Wines ( price and customer service recommended! )

I have 'consulted' with the forum 'boss' of Chippy tea making fame and he has suggested I post this here for the benefit of all but especially for those in a similar novice position as myself.

I will update this thread with my thoughts when i have finished and tasted the wine but in the meantime will, to the best of my ability, also update the thread at each stage where possible.

So without further ado -

On receipt of the kit and with the equipment ready and time put aside came the first 'blow'. BIG recommendation = pull off sufficient water and leave in a bucket at room temperature for 24 hours to allow chlorine etc to dissipate. Makes sense really but now being delayed a day I had no choice but to take out my frustration on a gallon of Purple WoW!! (which is going nicely ).

........................... to be continued ...................

Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
Vinotinto

Wanting to get this right ( all £46 worth) and having read about bin measurements I decided to use a known accurate measure for the liquids. Interesting. My 25l Wilko bin clearly states that graduation marks are approximate. My 33l Youngs makes no such comment. Note pic 1 has 17l of water in it. Clearly inaccurate. The Youngs in pic 2 is slightly out at 10 and20l etc but when it gets to 23l at the 5 gal mark is spot on. Info for the future.

Also of note is that both these bins are water tight wih the lid on and given a good shake full of Star San. I have a ten litre Bigger Jugs bin that leaks like a seive if I do this.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3023.jpg   IMG_3024.jpg  
shedbrewer Likes This 
Old 05-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
yeastinfection

Liked 216 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 404

I checked my fv and peco boiler the other day.just cause it was and I wanted to play with it. It was our by miles.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Vinotinto

11.00 am. Job done. Juice, water, bentonite, oak, elderberries all in. Sprinkled yeast on top.

Specific directions are NOT to stir when yeast added. Anybody know why?

WARNING - put lid on, fitted airlock to bung and tested for 'leaks' . I would not trust the handle on the youngs but just to move it off the towel I lifted by the handle with the lock in place. This had the effect of drawing downwards through the lock and sucked about 3ml of sterilising fluid into the bin. Hope to God this does not cause a problem!

Into back bedroom to sit for 7 days! SG 1.090, right on target.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3025.jpg   IMG_3026.jpg  
Indianblue Likes This 
Old 05-10-2016, 11:34 AM   #5
Graz

Liked 177 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinotinto View Post
This had the effect of drawing downwards through the lock and sucked about 3ml of sterilising fluid into the bin. Hope to God this does not cause a problem!
No it will be fine but at least you'll know for future to only put the airlock in once you've got it to its final resting place.

Drinking PB1: Bulldog Cobnar Wood
Drinking Bottled: Coopers Stout, Young's American Mocha Porter

Conditioning PB: Wherry, Cooper's Family Secret (+1.5kg LME & EKG hop tea)
Conditioning Bottled: Brewferm Christmas

Conditioning / Drinking WOWs:
White Grape and Apple
Red Grape and Apple
Grape, Apple and Raspberry (Morrisons blend)
White Grape, Apple and Mango
Pomegranate and Red Grape
Tropical and White Grape

Old 06-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Vinotinto

Update - day 2 (and no I won't post every day unless I think the experience will help some other bugger! ) ( Am I allowed to say bugger? )

24 hours in and my concern was that there was no movement in the airlock. I then realised that this is a different scale to the 1 gal dj and in addition, I had the best part of 10L of airspace above the liquid in the fv as opposed to the far less space in a dj. etc etc.

So, having wondered if it would start to ferment and not wishing to take the lid off unnecessarily, I waited and it is now pushing out a bubble every 25 seconds or so. Lesson learnt, be patient.

That said, it has the same airlock as my 1 gal djs but when it releases a bubble it is with far more force and noise than the 1 gal jobs. ?????

Old 12-10-2016, 03:56 AM   #7
Mikey

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Just a quick FYI this wine once finished taste good but leaving it to age for a couple months improves it greatly. We found after 6 months it was very good.
Good luck

Old 12-10-2016, 04:45 AM   #8
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 2730 Times on 2214 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Thanks Mikey.
Forum Member Map - https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2290525#

Old 12-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
Vinotinto

DAY 8

So it has been bubbling away nicely in the FV - time to take SG. Kit recommends 1.010 or lower to proceed. I have 2 hydrometers ( an issue I need to resolve ) . One shows 0.998, the other 1.004. At least both are within range and yes they were both done at same temperature. ( I feel another thread coming on! )

Next stage then was to rack into my 5 gallon glass dj. More lessons to follow -

Should have done this in the kitchen where I can get more height to syphon - ok to start but as I lowered into the fv things got pretty slow. Heavy to move when full though. The other issue was not so much the sediment that had laid out but the lumpier stuff, mainly the elderberries which I think added greatly to restricting flow as they collect in the sediment trap. Many of these were floating still so a pain in the ar*e.

Down to the last 'drop' I moved downstairs to get more height and flow but the crap was giving even more problems. Syphoned another 1/2 gallon then had to resort to a sterilised sieve so as not to waste a whole 1/2 gallon left. Right or wrong? I know not. Time will tell. Could not waste a whole gallon of juice though and glad I did it.

Anyhow, job done. Successfully racked and under a nicely bubbling lock. I was not sure about the seal on the thing supplied with the dj but it is working ok. Pics show residue in bucket ( I had thrown the berries by then ), full dj and final resting place for the next phase. Popped in the empty fv as shown , A, just in case something frothy happens and B, to protect from the light a bit.

Unless anything unexpected happens I will continue this hopefully in 12 days time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3062.PNG   IMG_3037.JPG   IMG_3041.JPG  

Old 12-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #10
Vinotinto

Pretty disgusting comment I know but looking back at pic no 1 above, has anybody seen that website " Rate my poo! "

I think I could win a prize?