Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > General Discussion > Distilled Beverages, Commercial Beer & Brewery Discussion. > Beer Advent Calendar

Old 01-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Pope

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Default Beer Advent Calendar

My wife has been very kind this year and has bought my a beer advent calendar from Beer Hawk; including 24 different craft beers, two glasses and a bottle opener.

I thought it would be a good idea to review each of them on here. I'll start tonight when I get home...where I have a Saison waiting for me.

*Watch this space*

Currently Fermenting:

Currently Conditioning/drinking:
Anchor Porter Clone
Greg Hughes' Nelson Sauvin Single Hop Ale
Greg Hughes' Mexican Cerveza
TartanSpecial Likes This 
Old 01-12-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
The Idiot

Liked 103 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Lucky man; my Missus was going to get me one but dealing with Beerhawk was a bit of a nightmare. I've used them since Day 1 and they were good, but as they've grown the service has slipped a bit. I had one order when a box was totally destroyed. I had to chase them over and over again to get it replaced.

I pointed her at the site to sort out the advent calendar this year, plus a list of other things to order. After numerous difficulties with the website she gave up and let me take over. I kept finding the site flaky so gave up too. I fired off an email asking what was wrong with the site. It took a week to get a reply telling me pretty much to just endure it.

I also have a mate that had to cancel his order for one when the whole process seemed to come off the rails. Shame really, as their choice is good.

I am jealous, because I really wanted one!

Old 01-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Hengoedbrewer

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great idea to review them all!! I wanted one but couldn't poersuade SWMBO to part with £75, seeing as I got her a Cadbury calendar (£4) I have heard there's not many dark beers in there; which is fine as I love hoppy IPA's now, but as it's Xmas...
Pope Likes This 
Old 01-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
Strollon15

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengoedbrewer View Post
Great idea to review them all!! I wanted one but couldn't persuade SWMBO to part with ���£75, seeing as I got her a Cadbury calendar (���£4)

Ha ha, always worth a try I suppose, you might have caught her with her guard down..........
Pope Likes This 
Old 01-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
monkier

Liked 51 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My misses also got me one of those. I'll watch this thread eagerly to compare notes. I'm going to do quick video reviews for my facebook page

Fermenting
nothing *gasp*

Conditioning
Toffee Apple Cider

Drinking
American 'C' IPA

You should also check my out on Youtube where i'll be posting all sort of brewing videos as i learn how to home brew

Youtube
Pope Likes This 
Old 01-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
Leon103

Liked 606 Times on 494 Posts
Likes Given: 537

My missis said she was going to get her one until I said not to spend that sort of money on it.
She was happy to spend £75 on one but moans when I spend £50 on a night out.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
DoctorMick

Liked 530 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idiot View Post
Lucky man; my Missus was going to get me one but dealing with Beerhawk was a bit of a nightmare. I've used them since Day 1 and they were good, but as they've grown the service has slipped a bit. I had one order when a box was totally destroyed. I had to chase them over and over again to get it replaced.

I pointed her at the site to sort out the advent calendar this year, plus a list of other things to order. After numerous difficulties with the website she gave up and let me take over. I kept finding the site flaky so gave up too. I fired off an email asking what was wrong with the site. It took a week to get a reply telling me pretty much to just endure it.

I also have a mate that had to cancel his order for one when the whole process seemed to come off the rails. Shame really, as their choice is good.

I am jealous, because I really wanted one!
A guy at work ordered one of the calendars and 30 bottles of beer for me and him to share...the calendar turned up but the beers didn't and the couriers are adamant there was only 1 package. Not exactly what you expect when you spend a considerable amount of money with them.

Conditioning: Why Aye PA

Drinking: Black Butte Porter clone, Deschutes Obsidian Stout clone, Stone Ruination Clone, New Zealand Pale Ale

Planning: Black IPA (based on JFB's recipe), Jester and Centennial IPA v2

Old 02-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
Pope

Beer Review 1:

Brewery: Two Road; Beer Name: Worker's Comp; Style: Saison; Packaging: Bottle; Volume: 355ml ABV: 4.8%;
Date Tasted: 01/12/2016

I used the notes book provided with the calendar, which is a little sad but oh well:

Appearance: Deep gold colour, hazy, no head (but this could be down to glass or the way it was poured) 2/3
Aroma: Tangerine, bit of spice 8/12
Flavour: Tasted grapefruit and pepper flavours...enjoyably bitter 15/20
Mouthfeel: Quite highly carbonated and refreshing 4/5
Overall: Nice refreshing beer, good for session 7/10
Total Score: 36/50
Attached Thumbnails
20161201_203207.jpg  

Currently Fermenting:

Currently Conditioning/drinking:
Anchor Porter Clone
Greg Hughes' Nelson Sauvin Single Hop Ale
Greg Hughes' Mexican Cerveza
Strollon15 Likes This 
Old 02-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #9
monkier

Liked 51 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope View Post
Beer Review 1:

Brewery: Two Road; Beer Name: Worker's Comp; Style: Saison; Packaging: Bottle; Volume: 355ml ABV: 4.8%;
Date Tasted: 01/12/2016

I used the notes book provided with the calendar, which is a little sad but oh well:

Appearance: Deep gold colour, hazy, no head (but this could be down to glass or the way it was poured) 2/3
Aroma: Tangerine, bit of spice 8/12
Flavour: Tasted grapefruit and pepper flavours...enjoyably bitter 15/20
Mouthfeel: Quite highly carbonated and refreshing 4/5
Overall: Nice refreshing beer, good for session 7/10
Total Score: 36/50
Interesting. I didn't get much of the pepper notes, but certainly got those citrus orange peel notes. I feel it would be an awesome beer for a hot summers day.

Also i think the thistle glass doesn't do much for the head of a beer. I've had a few in there and i get little head which dissipates quickly.

Fermenting
nothing *gasp*

Conditioning
Toffee Apple Cider

Drinking
American 'C' IPA

You should also check my out on Youtube where i'll be posting all sort of brewing videos as i learn how to home brew

Youtube
Pope Likes This 
Old 02-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #10
Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkier View Post
Interesting. I didn't get much of the pepper notes, but certainly got those citrus orange peel notes. I feel it would be an awesome beer for a hot summers day.

Also i think the thistle glass doesn't do much for the head of a beer. I've had a few in there and i get little head which dissipates quickly.
I really enjoyed it. It's the second time I've had a saison and I've enjoyed them both. It's a shame that you don't often see them in this country.