Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Complete and Brewed Recipes > India Pale Ale First gold ipa

Old 06-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
Lesinge

Liked 94 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default First gold ipa

First Gold IPA. 4.5kg of Maris otter, 250g of Carapils, 160g of dark crystal malt and 120g of victory. Again looking for a biscuity fruity type beer with toffee flavours in the background. Bittering hops are 44g Northern brewer then 34g First Gold at 15mins and 34g at flame out. Ended up with around 23l and pitched US05. OG1058 so if it gets to 1010 it would be 6.3%. Colour is a dark orange/light brown/amber, taste is quite light with lots of bitterness at the front/top of the mouth which lingers. Not as sweet as previous beers and if you put the wort around your mouth you get the poison taste...I reckon this will turn out nice and clean bitterness later on.
FV4
Conditioning: Brew Buddy Pear Cider
Conditioning: Der Englander AG
conditioning:
Drinking: Ghost Dance APA AG
Drinking: Possessed Porter AG
Drinking:
Drinking:
giffgaff123 Likes This 
Old 06-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Razor
Bearded Brewer

Liked 170 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Poison taste?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fermenting
1DJ Mead 28/10

Bottled/Conditioning
5Btls Blackcurrent Melomel 21/10
8Btls Cider 2/11
7Btls Lingonberry WOW 22/11
12Btls Mulled Cider 9/12
9Btls Braggot 4/1

Drinking
50Btls Irish Stout
4Btls Cab. Merlot
7Btls Toffee Apple Cider 30/9
9Btls SMaSH 7/10
4Btls Blackberry Cider 7/10
7Btls Christmas Cider 9/10
43Btls Spiced Winter Ale 16/10
5Btls Raspberry&Blackberry WOW 13/11
30Btls/5Lkeg Wheat Beer 27/12

Old 06-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
TartanSpecial

Liked 353 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I don't taste poison frequently, but it looks like it should turn out nice...curious to see what the final flavour contribution of the dark crystal is. If nice I might do something similar..I'm brewing a series of First Gold pale ales this year using hops from the garden...first one was with caragold, next one will be with carared so might do the following one carapils plus dark crystal if yours turn out OK.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
Llanbrewer

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanSpecial View Post
I don't taste poison frequently, but it looks like it should turn out nice...curious to see what the final flavour contribution of the dark crystal is. If nice I might do something similar..I'm brewing a series of First Gold pale ales this year using hops from the garden...first one was with caragold, next one will be with carared so might do the following one carapils plus dark crystal if yours turn out OK.
How far north are you? There's a query on another thread as to whether you can grow hops in Cheshire. I'm in North Wales, so all we have is a few hours of daylight in mid summer, and some melt water off the glacier.
terrym Likes This 
Old 07-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
Lesinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Poison taste?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My reaction to high bitterness levels in wort When I did my first AGs I followed some recipes that had high IBU's (75 for one of them) and when I was tasting it first I thought they tasted like posion or that stuff they put on nails as a kid to stop you biting them. I thought I would have to throw them away until having been left for a month or two they had changed to lovely clean beers with a bit of bite.
FV4
conditioning:
Drinking:
Drinking:

Old 07-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
Lesinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanSpecial View Post
I used some dark crystal in a brown porter and that is turning out nice so we shall see what effect it has in this beer. I used Carared in a beer using Flyer hops and I liked the slight sweetness it brought with it and use Carapils in most of my beers now. I would like to try Caragold so please let me know how that one turns out. My experience of first gold has been as part of darker beers and less of it so be interested in the final flavourings as I too have some of it growing in my garden. However, haven't had much luck with it because it is in pots at the moment and hardly makes a foot or so in height by the end of summer so will plant it out somewhere to give it more of a chance. I am at the beginning of the chilterns so have chalky soil, on a hill so well drained and South facing...I think those sound like good conditions but what do I know!
FV4
conditioning:
Drinking:
Drinking:

Old 18-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
Slid
Forum Friend
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 721 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesinge View Post
First Gold IPA. 4.5kg of Maris otter, 250g of Carapils, 160g of dark crystal malt and 120g of victory. Again looking for a biscuity fruity type beer with toffee flavours in the background. Bittering hops are 44g Northern brewer then 34g First Gold at 15mins and 34g at flame out. Ended up with around 23l and pitched US05. OG1058 so if it gets to 1010 it would be 6.3%. Colour is a dark orange/light brown/amber, taste is quite light with lots of bitterness at the front/top of the mouth which lingers. Not as sweet as previous beers and if you put the wort around your mouth you get the poison taste...I reckon this will turn out nice and clean bitterness later on.
I made a similar beer back in August with just MO and Crystal, but used the Coopers yeast (2 sachets of many I have collected...). Left it for many months before first tasting in November. All gone by Christmas!

It was very good indeed.

Old 16-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #8
Lesinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slid View Post
I made a similar beer back in August with just MO and Crystal, but used the Coopers yeast (2 sachets of many I have collected...). Left it for many months before first tasting in November. All gone by Christmas!

It was very good indeed.
Yes, First Gold is definitely a hop I will use again as the main event!
FV4
conditioning:
Drinking:
Drinking: