Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Asda Eden Falls question

Old 17-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
foxbat

Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Asda Eden Falls question

My next recipe is going to consist of Pilsner/Carapils malts with Perle, Hallertauer Hersbrucker and Celeia hops with US-05 yeast and a target ABV of 4.2%. The idea is to create a pale ale with a large slug of continental hop flavours.

My question is, can I use Eden Falls water straight out of the bottle in a pale ale like this or does it benefit from some treatment to get the best out of this style of ale?

Old 17-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3224 Times on 2521 Posts
Likes Given: 3254

Yes you can use it straight out of the bottle. I've used this water numerous amount of times for pale ales. I understand it benefits from some gypsum (not sure how much as I never added any) but you dont HAVE to add any

Sam Adams Boston Lager
Fuller Guinness

Old 17-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
dad_of_jon
A brewbie

Liked 749 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 1347

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbat View Post
My next recipe is going to consist of Pilsner/Carapils malts with Perle, Hallertauer Hersbrucker and Celeia hops with US-05 yeast and a target ABV of 4.2%. The idea is to create a pale ale with a large slug of continental hop flavours.

My question is, can I use Eden Falls water straight out of the bottle in a pale ale like this or does it benefit from some treatment to get the best out of this style of ale?
I've used nothing but chase spring water (17p for 2 litres at lidl or tesco) since taking up brewing and it's worked well for me in a range of styles from pales to dark beers.

That's not to say as myqul has already pointed out that you can't add to it, just that i've not felt the need to having been more than pleased with my results.

Name - style - abv% - no. left
We'll wheat again FOTF version - 5.93% - 50
Downtown dubbel - belgian dubbel - 6.43% - 48
King Kong - Big black Belgian Quad - 12.86% - 36
RIS 2: The rescue Belgian RIS - 9% - 59

Xmas 2017

Stealth triple - Dark Triple - 7.22% - 6
Ris-ky business - 10.37% - 6
Sleighed in Belgium - 9.3% - 6

Old 17-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
foxbat

Thanks, I'll try Eden Falls straight from the bottle and see how it goes. I've used Sainsbury's Basics in the past with CRS added because it's rather alkaline and a teaspoon of gypsum for style. The results were good but this time I'd like to try something different for comparison purposes if nothing else.

Old 17-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
TartanSpecial

Liked 353 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 202

You might want to still add 10grm Gypsum to bring out the hop flavours (and one teaspoon calcium chloride since Calcium, suphates and chloride are all quite low basis an analysis I saw from 2014) assuming a 5 gallon batch size.

Old 17-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
Chrissparky

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been using tap water with half a Camden tablet and tried bottled water and can't tell the difference. I'm in Manchester and our water tastes ok out of the tap though.

Old 17-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #7
foxbat

Tap water where I am in north essex is very hard and alkaline. We have an under-sink filter that makes it taste OK and means we can brew tea that doesn't taste horrible. The filter does nothing for the alkalinity though and I still have to add loads of CRS to bring it down to usable levels before using it for beer brewing.

Old 17-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
dad_of_jon
A brewbie

Liked 749 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 1347

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try Eden Falls straight from the bottle and see how it goes. I've used Sainsbury's Basics in the past with CRS added because it's rather alkaline and a teaspoon of gypsum for style. The results were good but this time I'd like to try something different for comparison purposes if nothing else.
tesco's ashbeck is ph 6.2 but in south wales it's hard to get, when in chesterfield this week I picked up a few 5l bottles for £1.10 as opposed to £1.30 for 6x500ml bottles. I had a few strange looks at the checkout

Name - style - abv% - no. left
We'll wheat again FOTF version - 5.93% - 50
Downtown dubbel - belgian dubbel - 6.43% - 48
King Kong - Big black Belgian Quad - 12.86% - 36
RIS 2: The rescue Belgian RIS - 9% - 59

Xmas 2017

Stealth triple - Dark Triple - 7.22% - 6
Ris-ky business - 10.37% - 6
Sleighed in Belgium - 9.3% - 6

Old 17-12-2016, 07:02 PM   #9
stigman

Liked 89 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissparky View Post
I've been using tap water with half a Camden tablet and tried bottled water and can't tell the difference. I'm in Manchester and our water tastes ok out of the tap though.
Hi Chris just seen your in denton, bit weird I'm just up the road in Glossop but work in denton as a sparky. We're on a different water supply but won't be much different, I use campden tabs and also tweak using strange Steve's water treatment thread.

Old 17-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #10
TartanSpecial

Liked 353 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Tap water where I am in north essex is very hard and alkaline. We have an under-sink filter that makes it taste OK and means we can brew tea that doesn't taste horrible. The filter does nothing for the alkalinity though and I still have to add loads of CRS to bring it down to usable levels before using it for beer brewing.
I'm the same in Epsom...Alkalinity 270-280ppm so need 1.4ml CRS per litre brewing liquor and you can see the CO2 come out of solution as it heats up.
If I were going to brew a lager I'd have to buy Ashbeck or Eden Falls.