Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Mangrove Jack Newcastle Yeast

Old 24-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
paul3944

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Mangrove Jack Newcastle Yeast

Hi,

Has anyone any experience of using MJ Newcastle Yeast?

I brewed a AG Brown Ale and used this yeast. It's been in the Corny for almost 3 months now and will not clear. I've used copious amounts of finings and the thing still wont clear!

A quick Google reveals some bad reviews regarding flocculation and I have noticed that this yeast is not even listed anymore on the UK MJ website?

Kind Regards
Paul

Old 24-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 417 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I used it once and really wasn't impressed. I can't comment on clearing cos I used it in a stout, but it was a weak fermentation with a very long lag time and I'm not too pleased with the flavours either. Won't be using it again.

Old 24-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
paul3944

Hmm, that seems to be the general consensus regarding this yeast. I won't be using this yeast again either.

Thanks Steve

Old 31-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
Bodleigh Head
The Bodleigh Head Brewery

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Dark Ale Yeast

Got one on the go at the moment
Lag time 10 hours.
High Krausen done after just 4 days.
still in primary at the moment, will get back to you in a week or so.

Old 31-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3026 Times on 2372 Posts
Likes Given: 2990

They rebranded a lot of the MJ yeasts so the newcastle one is called (iirc) empire yeast. I used it in the newcastle form and didn't have any problems with it. Cant remember about how clear the beer was (I put it in a brown ale and maybe a bitter too) but I remember it was quite flocctuant and I needed to rouse it
London Pride
Sam Adams Boston Lager

geetee Likes This 
Old 01-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
paul3944

I had to fit a blow off valve to my fermenter due to the krausen on this. Just poured another sample and it's still murky

Old 03-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
Bodleigh Head

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Empire Ale Yeast

Just racked off and these are nothing but initial impressions, DON'T take this for the gospel truth.
OG 1062 / FG 1014 => absolutely bang on predicted, what I expected from a dried yeast in an all malt brew. This corresponds to what I have seen in the past. So the yeast has performed well, primary done in seven days.
Transfer into secondary for clearing has revealed several things. Firstly, there is a very strong yeasty nose to the brew, it is woody, leathery. The fermentation appears "dirty" there is a lot of crud floating around in it, a lot of crud floating round in the bottom of the bucket, the yeast cake is not compact. I have read elsewhere that Mangrove Jack does not produce its own yeast but repackages yeast bought in bulk (malicious rumour ?) From my initial impressions, I am ready to go along with those malicious rumours, the performance of the yeast so far reminds me suspiciously of S04 ... which itself is rumoured to be the Whitbread B strain, designed for use in industrial plant. This is not what I am looking for. I gave up using S04 a long time ago, I really don't like it.
Jury's out for the moment though ... I'll give Empire Ale yeast and the beer a chance and see what happens

Old 08-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
Bodleigh Head

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default MJ Empire Yeast

$Just bottled 23 litres.
No problems of clarity or attenuation for this brew. BUT I am not too impressed for the moment. It's a strong yeast in terms of flavour, there is a distinct woody note to the brew that I used to find when I used GV 12 or to a lesser degree S04 ... I stopped using both of those yeasts, I don't think I'll be using MJ 15 again for the same reason. Watch this space though, the beer has to condition up, I reckon it will take about three months to mellow and sort itself out.
Empire Ale
Goldie PA
Mental IPA
Traditional Ale (2ndary)
Lager
Fizzy Lizzy (draught)
The Nora Batty Brew
SS Slovenia
Tabby Cat
Myocastor Coypus (fermenting S189)

Old 08-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #9
darrellm

Liked 328 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodleigh Head View Post
Lag time 10 hours.
High Krausen done after just 4 days.
Just done my 2nd brew with this yeast and my experience has been the opposite, incredibly slow to start (3 days) and only a small Krausen: temp-controlled ferment, 1048 OG brew. Never had a yeast take so long to get going, and I re-hydrated it.

I picked this yeast because of it's description "ferments with full, rich dark fruit flavors", as I wanted a fruity brew. My first brew was fairly bland, current one is just finishing off in the FV so we'll see how it turns out.

Old 14-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #10
darrellm

Liked 328 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Just bottled my brew made with this yeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul3944 View Post
A quick Google reveals some bad reviews regarding flocculation
My experience too. No sign of a solid trub at the bottom of the FV just liquid, I poured it out as I couldn't lift it with a spoon as I usuallt do with S04 as there were no solids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange-steve View Post
it was a weak fermentation
My experience too, took ages to get going then finished high despite temp control, FG 1016. So unless it produces an amazing beer, I won't be using this one again.