Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > Thinking going back to corni kegs!!

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
Manxnorton
Senior Member
 
Manxnorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,850
Liked 491 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 1519

Default Thinking going back to corni kegs!!

Hello all,
Been humming n harring for ages!
Had a few in the past n all the trimming for my beers...but I was a bit is Put of with the rig maroll of get co2 and all that, and it the time I was trying to build a kegerator..
So! I'll would like one corni keg for the moment.
All the pipes and regulators etc I'll have the-learn unfortualy I've forgot it all!!!
Please be gentle with me...lol
I'm not the brightest bulb in the shop!
Anyways any help starting with a corni keg...pipe fittings..regulator..co2 tanks etc..
Once I've got the the rest is looking on my old threads, YouTube etc.
Thanks so much
Manxnorton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
johnnyboy1965
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Solihull, West Mids
Posts: 2,039
Liked 424 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Anyone local to you who can show you? its much easier if you can see for yourself, than trying to explain
johnnyboy1965 is offline  
Manxnorton Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
Manxnorton
Senior Member
 
Manxnorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,850
Liked 491 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 1519

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy1965 View Post
Anyone local to you who can show you? its much easier if you can see for yourself, than trying to explain
TBH!! Once I see the set up...maybe memories will come back...but in the mean time will take time...frustrating tbh!! Not as bad as a full memory loss two years ago!
Yeah! There someone I can ask!
Tbc
Manxnorton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Personal91
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,224
Liked 216 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 526

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxnorton View Post
TBH!! Once I see the set up...maybe memories will come back...but in the mean time will take time...frustrating tbh!! Not as bad as a full memory loss two years ago!
Yeah! There someone I can ask!
Tbc
If someone isn't local try google images or youtube
Personal91 is offline  
Manxnorton Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Manxnorton
Senior Member
 
Manxnorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,850
Liked 491 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 1519

Default

It was Twostage I sold my corni's
Pm'd him.
So I'll see what's the crack.
Yeah the next step is going on YouTube and seeing all the setup etc.
Visually would be easier for me..lol
Thank u
__________________
https://www.stroke.org.uk/finding-support/stroke-north

https://bdaa.co.uk/

Brian

Drinking
Morrisons craft ales n nearly my stocks!!
Fermenting
Red X IPA-Lager Hybrid 12l
Bottled/kegged
Hazel n amaretto Broon ale
Kris's double IPA 19l
Conditioning
Shipyard Rye ale 22l
Guinness extra stout
Fosters clone
NEXT BREW DAY
Thinking grapefruit IPA
Manxnorton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
Fil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,881
Liked 868 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Bri, before you take the plunge, have you considered sankey style kegs? the sankey coupler is a simpler single attachment, and has much fewer perishable o-rings and is therefore much less prone to leaks and losses. And there is no dodgy lid to seal either..

the downside of the SS sankey kegs is that they are not available 2nd use that often which means paying full retail price. However there are much cheaper 'single use' options such as polykegs or ecokegs which are basically 30l pet bottles with a sankey screwtop designed for single use but ... there have been a couple of 2nd hand poly kegs resold by brewers who have bought a couple of hunderd from a brewer and cleaned and passed on to the rest of us @ <£10 + pnp i think you can buy new via ebay for circa £30

And the 30l capacity means you can keg a 23-25l brew in one without having to mess about with half a dozen or so bottles when you keg a 5 gallon brew in a 19l corny..

however the larger size also means you can only fit one in a standard under the counter fridge..
Fil is offline  
Manxnorton Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:34 PM   #7
Manxnorton
Senior Member
 
Manxnorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,850
Liked 491 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 1519

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil View Post
Bri, before you take the plunge, have you considered sankey style kegs? the sankey coupler is a simpler single attachment, and has much fewer perishable o-rings and is therefore much less prone to leaks and losses. And there is no dodgy lid to seal either..

the downside of the SS sankey kegs is that they are not available 2nd use that often which means paying full retail price. However there are much cheaper 'single use' options such as polykegs or ecokegs which are basically 30l pet bottles with a sankey screwtop designed for single use but ... there have been a couple of 2nd hand poly kegs resold by brewers who have bought a couple of hunderd from a brewer and cleaned and passed on to the rest of us @ <£10 + pnp i think you can buy new via ebay for circa £30

And the 30l capacity means you can keg a 23-25l brew in one without having to mess about with half a dozen or so bottles when you keg a 5 gallon brew in a 19l corny..

however the larger size also means you can only fit one in a standard under the counter fridge..
Thx Fil
I've got some reading up on!!
Thx pal...
I'll look now..
Manxnorton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
Manxnorton
Senior Member
 
Manxnorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,850
Liked 491 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 1519

Default

Are the like this
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beer-keg-bar...%257Ciid%253A9
Manxnorton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #9
Manxnorton
Senior Member
 
Manxnorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,850
Liked 491 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 1519

Default

Is this any good??
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cornelius-Ke...%257Ciid%253A4
Manxnorton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:01 PM   #10
YeastFace
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Surrey
Posts: 690
Liked 231 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Default

That deal does look good. The Malt Miller is selling a similar package. Tenner more, but a brand new keg rather than a reconditioned one in the eBay link.

The tap is a picnic style one, however, so depends if you plan on drilling holes through the fridge door for the taps, or would be happy keeping it all inside the fridge.

http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index...productId=2472
__________________
FVs: #1 NZ Pilsner

Kegged: #1 Session IPA (German Malts, Hops and Yeast) #2 Traditional Saison #3 Black IPA

Bottled: Mixed Culture Golden Saison (5l Batch), Sour Dark Saison (With figs and pomegranate molasses),
Bière de Garde

Planning: NE IPA, Milk Stout
YeastFace is offline  
Manxnorton Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CIP Pump for Corni Kegs beermaker General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion 12 20-09-2013 09:03 PM
Cooling plastic kegs - I've been thinking aamcle General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion 1 22-07-2013 09:53 PM
Pubs returning beer back to kegs. BarnsleyBrewer The Snug 6 19-07-2011 08:39 AM
Corni Keg Drunken_Jock General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion 33 26-07-2010 08:24 AM
Well I've got me corni's Dieseljockey The Snug 10 01-07-2010 07:48 PM

Newest Threads