Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Pressure cooker Hop Tea and LME

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
Druncan
Senior Moments

Liked 97 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Default Pressure cooker Hop Tea and LME

Yes I will get to full grain, but at the moment I'm playing with liquid extract for a number of logistical reasons,,,

I noticed this on the web; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/bitterin...5-minutes.html

and thought,,, why not? use extract and add hop- tea after pressure cooking for 11 mins. Isomerisation occurs in wort and water,,,

22.7l in the FV as we speak,

Any views? advice?

Old 09-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
Hoppyland

Liked 291 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Sounds very interesting. Never done anything like this - and since I normally brew all grain then it maybe isn't too relevant to my style - but it's an interesting idea.
Tell us how it works out!

Old 10-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #3
Gerryjo

Liked 705 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Had a read and looks very interesting.Imagine gaining full IBU from your hops and be able to deliver the required amount through a tea and actually use less hops and prepare your tea in advance.I may have to purchase a pressure cooker for SWMBO.🍺

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Old 10-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #4
Fil

Liked 828 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 26

if considering a pressure cooker check out a US sourced pressure canner i got a 23l pressure canner via amazon for circa £120 big enough for autoclaving a 2l flask of liquor so if you ever want to move into yeast banking you will have the sterilisation side all sorted..

And its come in very handy in the kitchen too, 'boiling big hams in no time at all needing only 30 mins in the oven to crisp up. and canning itself can be addictive, one favorite is a cupboard chilli which involves a wok fry of all the ingredients to soften/brown etc, dump into 20 odd 1lb jam jars and 40 mins iirc in the pressure canner leaves us with handy jars of home made cupboard chilli with a 3 month shelf life not that it lasts that long..

Old 10-01-2017, 05:41 AM   #5
CraftyZA

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druncan View Post

Any views? advice?

Don't open the pressure cooker to soon.

Yes that is sticky lme wort on the floor.
2 kg dme
1.7 kg lme
About 4L water.
7 L pressure cooker.
I lightly put the lid on to help it get to boil.
Got the bag of simcoe I wanted to add, and tried to lift the lid but it was stuck. No way the boil could have started in a minute. Twisted the lid and BANG!

Hot boiling wort over my arm.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
Druncan
Senior Moments

Liked 97 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Default Ouch!

@CraftyZA That looks fek'n painful!

I'm only using water with the hops at the moment to isomerise in our dodgy old Pressure Cooker.

Sticky boiling wort in a PC just sounds like my worst nightmare and a scary recipe for disaster for me with our old pan and your experience has confirmed my worries,,,,

However, awaiting a 12l induction pressure cooker to arrive, and liking the canning idea!!!

We just made 10litres of spicy fruit chutney in my 19l brew pan last night. Easy controlled heating on the induction hob, but had to boil for ages,,,
Mjh Likes This 
Old 10-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
BeerCat

Liked 643 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 920

I love pressure cookers but they can be scary when they suddenly pump out steam. Mine jumped off the cooker before when the seal was not on correctly and always run under cold water before opening. Very intersting teqhnique, interested to hear more.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old 10-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #8
CraftyZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druncan View Post
@CraftyZA That looks fek'n painful!

I'm only using water with the hops at the moment to isomerise in our dodgy old Pressure Cooker.

Sticky boiling wort in a PC just sounds like my worst nightmare and a scary recipe for disaster for me with our old pan and your experience has confirmed my worries,,,,

However, awaiting a 12l induction pressure cooker to arrive, and liking the canning idea!!!

We just made 10litres of spicy fruit chutney in my 19l brew pan last night. Easy controlled heating on the induction hob, but had to boil for ages,,,

Wow, i thought chutney was a south african thing. We make it with yellow peaches, and a touch of curry/red pepper/chilly.
If you are in uk, look for one of those south african speciality stores and take some hot ms balls chutney. Best stuff in world. Esp if you make bobotie.

It was pretty painfull. Had plenty of blisters across my arm and some on my chest. Don't brew topless. Only had running shorts on.
Druncan Likes This 
Old 10-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
braziliain

Liked 174 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyZA View Post
Don't brew topless.
I keep telling our lass that, yet she persists.
Druncan Likes This 
Old 10-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #10
CraftyZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by braziliain View Post
I keep telling our lass that, yet she persists.

Call a group brew on your next brewday. We will bring homebrew.