Valentine Arm?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kage72

Reaction score
Hi all, I am intrigued by the Valentine arm. Partly, because I am anxious to build a setup that increases my dismall extract efficiency :hmm: , and partly because I love brewing gadgetry! :thumb: Hats off to whomever devised this magnificant device. :clap:

I noticed the V-arm was hooked onto the outbound valve on the mash tun. Could this have hot-side-aration effects? Looks like air is brought into the V-arm as a part of the flow control. Also there is some distance between the spout of the V-arm and the bottom of the boil pot, If you were to lengthen the V-arm (or add tubing) to minimize this space, would this affect the flow control?

Can anyone report on the results of a V-arm brew?

Kage

Could this have hot-side-aration effects?

I wouldn't worry about HSA...I'd be more worried about Nessy when swimming in Loch Ness :lol:

Looks like air is brought into the V-arm as a part of the flow control.

It is but no more so than the air on top of your mash. It's open to the atmosphere to allow the V arm to equalise at the same level as the mash bed.

Can anyone report on the results of a V-arm brew?

MEB's your man ;)

kage72 said:
Could this have hot-side-aration effects?
NO!!!

kage72 said:
Looks like air is brought into the V-arm as a part of the flow control.
No, flow control is achieved by the position of the top of the 'loop' of the valentine. this is where the liquid is maintained in the mash tun . . . if you are introducing you sparge liquor faster, then more flows out of the V arm to compensate

kage72 said:
Also there is some distance between the spout of the V-arm and the bottom of the boil pot, If you were to lengthen the V-arm (or add tubing) to minimize this space, would this affect the flow control?

No, but I would add tubing to the valentine to reach to the bottom of the underback/boiler, not because I am concerned about HSA but just cause I like to minimise exposure to air . . . I know its a bit tautological but hey :lol:

I use the valentine arm for a number of reasons. The arm itself doesn't increase efficiency. It's the way it works that helps with efficiency by maintaining a flow and a level in the mash tun that cannot be done by trying to balance the flow of two taps. I also like the fact that once i've set it up i can get on with other things and not worry about sparging. It is a very good little gadget and the one thing in my brewery that i like the most. Apart from the beer i brew.

The V arm was invented by Dr Jamie Oliver. It was introduced to me by a great brewing friend of mine.

Latest posts

Back