Festival kit pouch burst.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

Landlord.
Reaction score
Use or not use. One of the malt pouches are burst.

Have asked the supplier to make good but would you brew it?

image.jpg

Assuming they don't want it back, then hell yeah. It can't have been open to air for more than a day?

I would brew it but probably lightly boil the burst pouch In about 5 litres of water for 10 minutes. failing that you could always split it and do 2 10 litre brews and if your getting another kit you could end up with free beer.:thumb:

follow Pete's advice ... dilute & boil for ten minutes ... you no doubt have lots of dormant bacteria and mould in the extract, however small the hole or the time it has been open to the air

Do the festival kits come with the flavour/aroma hops seperate? If not, if you boil the kit you'll boil off the flavour/aroma additions. No problem though just buy (some) hop tea bags off ebay for a couple of quid and add a hop tea to the kit

Well to be fair the homebrew company have responded this morning, replacement on the way and just to bin this one. Can't fault the service I have got, delivery was fast first time round and no quibbles about this issue:thumb:

Do the festival kits come with the flavour/aroma hops seperate? If not, if you boil the kit you'll boil off the flavour/aroma additions. No problem though just buy (some) hop tea bags off ebay for a couple of quid and add a hop tea to the kit

Yup, there are 75grams of hops and muslin, and a little sachet of salt?? no idea what that is for?

My Festival Landlords Bitter had hops for dry hopping, and a filter 'sock' for fitting over the siphon, which worked!

You'll be fine to give the kit a boil then. Salt? are you sure it's not an oxygen absorber?

nope, its an a measured sachet, 6 grams i think and same style packet as the yeast and nutrient.

Looks like the salt additions are to be added to your water. By the looks of it this is meant to be classic English Pale in the style of Pedigree, hence the 'Burton water' salts. Although surely this would have differing effects on the water depending on what your water was like in the first place...Let us know how you get on :thumb:

MyQul, definitely salts, anyway will need to get to it tonight.

If it is as WSOA says, it's supposed to 'burtonise' your water I'm not sure I'd add it as WSOA rightly says much will depend on your water profile.

Cheers, will leave it out then. Did seem a bit strange

HBC are very good on this sort of service, I was really impressed when I made a similar complaint two and a half years ago.

Agree that you can brew with the damaged pouch, but you must boil everything in that pouch beforehand.

Well, the new kit has arrived, super quick and must say very impressed with the HBC, no problems, quickly resolved. can't ask for better service.:D

Plan of action would be to empty contents both pouches into a pan, add 5l of water and boil for 10mins. both pouches are covered in malt, but the bust one has a small pin hole in it where I can hear the air coming out when squeezed. haven't had time to do this so it will be this weekend before I start. I take it a few days will make little diffrence if I boil it all?

I think the salts are a water conditioner to replicate the water used in the original beer ...there's one in my Festival Endeavour kit..I could however be totally wrong..

Cheers
Clint

Well, the new kit has arrived, super quick and must say very impressed with the HBC, no problems, quickly resolved. can't ask for better service.:D

Plan of action would be to empty contents both pouches into a pan, add 5l of water and boil for 10mins. both pouches are covered in malt, but the bust one has a small pin hole in it where I can hear the air coming out when squeezed. haven't had time to do this so it will be this weekend before I start. I take it a few days will make little diffrence if I boil it all?

Yes, that will have been fine. How did the brewday go?

Brew day went well, both pouches boiled up and now happy bubbling away in the FV. Did think of only boiling the burst one, but the other was covered in gunk, so no harm in giving both a good heat treatment.

Wife did think I was a bit nuts when the big pickling pan came out to make beer! :whistle:

Latest posts

Back