Killing wild yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRTurner1234

Reaction score
Hi,

Are there any silver bullet potions that kill wild yeast?

Or is it a case of heat it or replace it?

Thanks,
JRT

Wild yeast can be everywhere even on a speck of dust. I think the idea is to just keep it out and do your best to give your wort good healthy fermentation.

Forgot to add - leave it for 20 mins. If you leave bleach soaking for hours in things like FV's where the plastic is absorbant, you never get the bleach smell out and will have to bin it

Also make sure it is thin bleach, the cheap "thin" stuff doesn't have the extra stuff that works to help it keep clinging on when you are trying to rinse it off, although you still need to really rinse very carefully.

My silver bullet potion for wild yeast is bleach. 140ml bleach/2L water. Does the trick every time. Remember to rinse the bleach thoroughly after (shower head works well for this)

Good to know, I only used sodium perc once and that left an astringent taste and I thought i'd really really rinsed out. So I stopped that .I'd give the bleach a try and if no joy replace the vessel. Normally star san and just boiled (still hot) water have served me well.

I would say, if you are serious about the hobby, avoid buying plastic. I had some pressure barrels that got infected. Needless to say, I couldn't get in to clean the things. Soaking in caustic soda, sulphuric acid, bleach and scalding with boiling water didn't get rid of the infection totally. I have since moved over to stainless steel

I would say, if you are serious about the hobby, avoid buying plastic. I had some pressure barrels that got infected. Needless to say, I couldn't get in to clean the things. Soaking in caustic soda, sulphuric acid, bleach and scalding with boiling water didn't get rid of the infection totally. I have since moved over to stainless steel

Who doesn't like SHINY!! I know I do.

Having said that it's expensive. I could buy 16 plastic FV buckets for the price of 1 SS FV. One of the arguments for SS is, it will last you a liftime. But I think 16 plastic buckets would last as lifetime, especially as I'm aware some forumites have been using the same plastic FV for 10 years! Swings and roundabouts I guess. But I do agee with you, if I could afford it I'd buy SHINY*

*(SHINY always has to be spelt out in capitals because, well, it's SHINY!!!!!!! :D)

Must say I agree but here you go ... compare & contrast

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/HOPPY-11-GAL...668870?hash=item4af8517906:g:ps4AAOSwzhVWrKU9

The second site is in French but you'll get the gist. I bought two plastic fermenters last year, I would have gone for the SHINY SS if I had known.

http://www.negomix.fr/fut-plastique-a-couvercle/36-fut-plastique-30-l-a-couvercle-et-poignees.html

I moved over to soda kegs last Christmas after years of bottling ... I haven't looked back since. A soda keg is about four times the price of a basic pressure barrel ... but as I count on home-brewing for the next 20 years at least, I am willing to invest. :)

I have to ask where all the wild yeast is coming from. I've tried to capture wild yeasts for sour beers, open fermenting and doing everything to ensure the conditions are right, and it's blooming difficult!

I think too many other issues are attributed to 'wild yeasts', and when the problems occur more than once, people take that as absolute evidence it's a wild yeast infection. I'd guess that probably 1 in 100 cases are down to wild yeast infections.

There are other practices that seem common which I'd say are more likely to be the cause of most problems that crop up on the forum. Often there's an overly anxious attitude to cleanliness and a much more lax approach to brewing.

I have to ask where all the wild yeast is coming from. I've tried to capture wild yeasts for sour beers, open fermenting and doing everything to ensure the conditions are right, and it's blooming difficult!

I think too many other issues are attributed to 'wild yeasts', and when the problems occur more than once, people take that as absolute evidence it's a wild yeast infection. I'd guess that probably 1 in 100 cases are down to wild yeast infections.

There are other practices that seem common which I'd say are more likely to be the cause of most problems that crop up on the forum. Often there's an overly anxious attitude to cleanliness and a much more lax approach to brewing.

Perhaps bacteria causing the infection rather than wild yeast?

Who doesn't like SHINY!! I know I do.

Having said that it's expensive. I could buy 16 plastic FV buckets for the price of 1 SS FV. One of the arguments for SS is, it will last you a liftime. But I think 16 plastic buckets would last as lifetime, especially as I'm aware some forumites have been using the same plastic FV for 10 years! Swings and roundabouts I guess. But I do agee with you, if I could afford it I'd buy SHINY*

*(SHINY always has to be spelt out in capitals because, well, it's SHINY!!!!!!! :D)

S H I N Y! I like S H I N Y.

SHINY.jpg

To misquote the velvet underground lyrics, "SHINY,SHINY. SHINY Piece of metal..." :lol:

Funnily enough MQ, I'm thinking of a new fermenter but as you say the SS Brewtech as lovely as it is, is soooo expensive that it makes it untenable. Homebrew online are doing the one that I have for £11 odd with tap and grommet, I remember there being an online store in Glasgow (?) that did the Coopers fermenters for £20 odd if I remember correctly.

Funnily enough MQ, I'm thinking of a new fermenter but as you say the SS Brewtech as lovely as it is, is soooo expensive that it makes it untenable. Homebrew online are doing the one that I have for �£11 odd with tap and grommet, I remember there being an online store in Glasgow (?) that did the Coopers fermenters for �£20 odd if I remember correctly.

2x Youngs FV, no tap. Just a straight bucket for me!

Perhaps bacteria causing the infection rather than wild yeast?

Hi MQ

star san should sort them out. But star san doesn't kill yeast when diluted as directed, which is where the other poster is coming from.

I suggested wild yeast infection as the last resort for an off flavor for the OP. More likely the water, now if the beer had been appley or vinegary there's a bug for that and as the beer I tried wasn't gushing that narrows the problem down.

Re wild yeast infections they would be more likely if you chill your wort outside in the open. I'm a kitchen brewer so don't have the same level of risk. My FV (plastic) retains a healthy yeasty smell.

2x Youngs FV, no tap. Just a straight bucket for me!

I do find that the tap and bottling wand make life very easy for bottling and the tap for taking readings. I'm loathe to crack the lid on the FV for anything especially this time of year.

I do find that the tap and bottling wand make life very easy for bottling and the tap for taking readings. I'm loathe to crack the lid on the FV for anything especially this time of year.

I've got my 'nosuck' syphoning technique down to a fine art now and just attach the bottling wand to the syphon.

Back