First AG Brew - Getting worse with age?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info TI. its an interesting read! Good to know the science behind methods too.

I was planning to leave this one for 3 weeks, the last one I think was around 2.5 weeks. Interestingly I just tested my new auto syphon and this one does exactly the same thing. Draws in a shed load of air in bubble form. Really unimpressed having bought two of the things and they're effectively junk and they're not particularly cheap either.

I'm going to go back to a manual syphon this time with a hose and removable end. Start sucking through the beer and as its starting to move through the tube, pull the end off and put the clean end into the bottling bucket.

A couple of changes so hopefully it works out!

Thanks for the info TI. its an interesting read! Good to know the science behind methods too.

I was planning to leave this one for 3 weeks, the last one I think was around 2.5 weeks. Interestingly I just tested my new auto syphon and this one does exactly the same thing. Draws in a shed load of air in bubble form. Really unimpressed having bought two of the things and they're effectively junk and they're not particularly cheap either.

I'm going to go back to a manual syphon this time with a hose and removable end. Start sucking through the beer and as its starting to move through the tube, pull the end off and put the clean end into the bottling bucket.

A couple of changes so hopefully it works out!

Does the rubber washer / seal thingy look in good nick? I'm really hoping this was the problem with mine. New one arriving tomorrow. :|

Does the rubber washer / seal thingy look in good nick? I'm really hoping this was the problem with mine. New one arriving tomorrow. :|

Yep, it looked fine on both of mine...

They will syphon fine for a while then start glugging... then fine again... then glugs.

Thanks Larry - its a combination of those tips that I'm going for :) I guess its a take on the pen lid trick.

I know it sounds ridiculous but do you hold your siphon in the middleof the FV?

I find with my auto siphon I hold it against the inner wall of the FV towards me (I can also usually see the black tip too which helps me sense whereabout its drawing from and not too close to the trub.. before I did this I found siphons with mt auto a little bit gluggy..

Not saying thats the answer but just thought I would put it would there.

My new auto-syphon arrived today and works perfectly. My seal had definitely gone but it looks as though there are many forces of nature to tackle with these things. I'll test it again at both high and low tide next.....😬

Latest posts

Back