My first brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewW

Reaction score
Hello. I did my first all grain BIAB IPA last week. It's been in the fermenting bucket for just over a week. OG was 1.066. Was bubbling away quite actively for about two to three days then slowed right down. It's only bubbling every several minutes now. Was going to dry hop yesterday and took a gravity reading. Only down to 1.030. I used a rehydrated sachet of safale 05 ale yeast in 18 litres of wort. Should I leave it another week and take another reading before dry hopping do you think? From what I'd read elsewhere, I expected fermentation to have finished after a week. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Id give it a bit longer, if you dry hop too soon the co2 coming from the beer can drive off the hop aroma. There are loads of factors which effect how long fermentation takes and if you nail everything it can be quick but a couple of weeks isn't unusual.

Id give it a bit longer, if you dry hop too soon the co2 coming from the beer can drive off the hop aroma. There are loads of factors which effect how long fermentation takes and if you nail everything it can be quick but a couple of weeks isn't unusual.
Thanks for the response. Probably being a bit impatient and hoping/expecting everything to go to the letter. I will give it til next weekend and take another reading. I'm not sure what is a realistic FG but when was thinking 1.015-1.020.

Slow down!!!

The initial frenetic fermentation is just the first stage. After that the yeast will slowly work their way through the remaining sugars, which takes about another week. If you really want a good beer, give them another week after that to allow them to clean up any residues and metabolites. Only after that does flocculation begin.

If you want clean beer with none of that homebrew 'twang' I wouldn't touch it for at least three weeks after the yeast is pitched.

Constantly taking measurements before that is the easiest way to get an infection.

I'll take a look, thanks. I did enter my recipe into the BrewLog app and it suggested around 1.018. Gonna follow The Idiot's advice though and wait. Good things come to those who wait, so I've heard.

Latest posts

Back