Stupid mistake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kman

Regular.
Reaction score
I just transferred my beer into a bottling bucket ready to bottle tomorrow only to discover I've used a dirty syphon, I did use starsan before but missed the black spots on the tubing. Think I may have infected it [emoji20]

There is only one way to find out and that'll be to wait it out, it's unlikely to turn for tomorrow so I'd bottle and see what happens.

Disclaimer: if you've introduced wild yeast the bottles may explode!

Because of the lower pH of finished beer you'll probably be fine. I'll bet a pound to a penny there'll be no adverse effects. I've done a lot worse than that and not had an infection.

were the black spots still there in the tubing afterwards?.....it would be worse if you noticed the spots before/during but then they'd disappeared once you'd finished (i.e. all the nasties have definitely gone in your beer)

I always have dried black spots in my tubing. I change it regularly but always get them and can never remove them. I have never had a problem

I always have dried black spots in my tubing. I change it regularly but always get them and can never remove them. I have never had a problem

That's good to know, might just order more tubing with next order of homebrew stuff

The black spots will be mildew, I should think. Very hard indeed to remove, but I also think mildew is unlikely to be a real problem.

Latest posts

Back