All Grain Brewing - Believe the hype!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuff76

Reaction score
"Move to AG and you'll never look back"

"Your first AG brew will blow away any kit you've ever made"

"The improvement from AG over a kit is immense"

I've been hearing things like this since I first started this adventure, but my first AG brew was beset by problems and the end result, although drinkable, certainly wasn't the instant amazing upgrade from what I've produced with a kit.

So I was worried that I've bought this extra gear for no reason, that I'd spent the best part of 6 hours making something not much better than a £25 kit could do in 30 mins...

I went all out for my second AG - Huge grain bill and a load of tasty hops, still had a few problems but I had learned from my mistakes in the first one.

It's not really ready yet, was bottled 11 days ago but I couldnt resist and tried one last night.... And it was amazing

NOW I GET IT! You guys were right all along!! :D

My first AG was a disaster (I messed up the hop schedule), but my 2nd was a revelation!

My boiler exploded on AG3 but it has also been an extremely nice beer - even my wife likes it!

I got a new boiler for my birthday this week's but it's looking like another 2-3 weeks before I can do AG 4 (American wheat - I had been playing about with my own recipe but I got the Greg Hughes book for my birthday so might just go with the recipe in that - especially as it uses citra, which is in AG3 that SWMBO likes so much), with AG 5 (my Christmas beer) scheduled for October and a pseudo lager for a week off I have planned in November.

Goooood Goooood

I came over to the dark side about eighteen months ago. Earlier this year, when I'd run out of grains etc and hadn't got round to re-ordering, I squeezed in a St Peters Ruby Red just to fill a gap. What a disappointment. Won't try that again in a hurry.:lol:

I came over to the dark side about eighteen months ago. Earlier this year, when I'd run out of grains etc and hadn't got round to re-ordering, I squeezed in a St Peters Ruby Red just to fill a gap. What a disappointment. Won't try that again in a hurry.:lol:

Not sure I'll do another kit - Some of them weren't bad, but they all had a certain indescribable taste (the 'twang' I guess) and that is what I wanted/needed to get rid of if this was going to be a long term hobby.

Last nights tasting was a real cathartic moment, finally I've got there :grin:

Latest posts

Back