kits/extract/AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Kits..as it says on the tin!
AG . .all grain,from scratch,I presume..
Could someone please explain extract brewing?

Cheers
Clint

Extract you get tins of liquid or dried barley malt extract like in a kit but its unhopped so you water it down and boil it with whatever hops you want.

There are a couple of really good guides on extract brewing in the "How To" section of the forum. I'm about to have a go at extract and/or AG brewing when my current kits are bottled, following the advice there.

Extract is pretty straightforward and a big improvement on kits imho.
Look aroud on here, should be plenty of info available.
I am/ have been doing small batches of various extract brews-6 to 10 litres and so far have been really pleased with results.
I tend to use the recipe builder available on here eithermake up my own recipe or find one from a book and either tweak it or do it as is.
Not as cheap as AG but personally i am not too worried about overall cost. Mine have been coming out roughly around 50/60 p pint and have been told AG can be done for around 25p pint!

Hello all
Kits..as it says on the tin!
AG . .all grain,from scratch,I presume..
Could someone please explain extract brewing?

Cheers
Clint

dried malt extract or liquid malt extract brews you don't necessarily** need to boil them and if you do you can do a 15 min boil which will be fine. doesn't take much more time than a kit and you can add different strength malt from very light to very dark and dried wheat extract for wheat beers you can make a fair variety of stuff with extract.

choose some hops and a yeast for the style of beer you want and away to go.

It does work out dearer than AG but for some it hits the sweet spot (me included)

**if you buy factory sealed dme e.g. muntons that won't need boiling but if you buy for a supplier that splits a 25kg bag up and repackages then i'd advise a boil.

but whatever you choose sanitize you equipment well :cheers:

Extract is pretty straightforward and a big improvement on kits imho.
Look aroud on here, should be plenty of info available.
I am/ have been doing small batches of various extract brews-6 to 10 litres and so far have been really pleased with results.
I tend to use the recipe builder available on here eithermake up my own recipe or find one from a book and either tweak it or do it as is.
Not as cheap as AG but personally i am not too worried about overall cost. Mine have been coming out roughly around 50/60 p pint and have been told AG can be done for around 25p pint!

£10 may be the cost of the ingredients for an AG beer, but I must have spent of the order of £1,000 on kit - the Grainfather itself was over £600. So if you were to divide that by the number of brews that used mashing grains, it does not make AG any cheaper. Not really.

That is the problem with AG. It is NOT about cheap beer, because whatever you think at the start, you will want an x and then you want a y and then you want a z. And you need more water and you need more energy.

x,y & z can be almost anything shiny, from conical fermenters to 3 vessel systems or brewing fridges. Once you get the AG bug, you may make better beer, but it ain't going to cost you any less.

Back