Belgium Ale yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vossy1

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having bought Brew Like a Monk recently, and really liking higher gravity ales, I'm looking at making some Belgium Ales.
Ignoring specific styles for a minute, is there a general yeast that anyone can recommend for producing a blonde type ale.

I was thinking WLP500 would be a good place to start but would really apreciate any advice ;)

Whitlabs link

I recently used WLP-500 in a blond and then repitched that into a dubbel. IMO it works better in the blond than it does the dubbel...which is ironic as it's the Chimay yeast and their main beer is a dubbel. I've tasted another blond brewed by someone else and he used WLP-575 - it's a lot more phenolic than mine which we think is due to the WLP-550 that's used in the blend.

I've only ever used the WLP530 and found it to be a top yeast. I've tried it in blond style ales and dark style ales and like the results of both. I ferment it warm to develop the phenolic flavours as detailed on the white labs site.

The one possible issue with the Westmalle yeast (wlp-530) is it's potential for just stopping if it gets cold. It's happened to me when I used to ferment in the kitchen and it was a particularly chilly night. If you can keep it stable and warm then you shouldn't have any problems. It does make a very nice beer and three of the Trappist breweries use it - albeit with different fermentation conditions.

I suspended an aquarium heater in the FV and cranked the heat up over a few days to around 24C I think. The chart on the website advised this to be the best temperature range to get the flavours I was after.

steve_flack said:
The one possible issue with the Westmalle yeast (wlp-530) is it's potential for just stopping if it gets cold. It's happened to me when I used to ferment in the kitchen and it was a particularly chilly night. If you can keep it stable and warm then you shouldn't have any problems. It does make a very nice beer and three of the Trappist breweries use it - albeit with different fermentation conditions.

Even Westvleteren use it, and they make The Best Beer in the World according to RateBeer!

WLP530 is my favourite, so another vote for that, WLP510 Bastogne is very good too, although it's more muted - good in a Belgian Pale Ale.

Cheers gents for all the advice ;)
I put an order into the H&G today that included a WLP 500.
The 530 seems to be popular and I will try it in the future but my budget of £20 ish quid has been exhausted for the moment :whistle:

Back