my shed or my bedroom ...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mick may said:
so if i set the aquarium heater at 18 c then that would be right as the brew goes up in temp...
when its fermenting on its own ...
but cant drop below 18 with the aquarium heater set at 18...have i got it right now ..

I posted my bucket and aquarium heater setup below:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34370

On this post I just have water in both but I am now fermenting an IPA kit in the same setup. I have found that the water in the bath and the contents of the FV equalize pretty constantly so if your fermentation was to emit any heat energy it will just cause the aquarium heater's thermostat to turn off at a lower temp...maintaining the correct temp.

Throughout the first week, in my cold garage (averaged 4 celsius) in the North East the temp has never risen above 19 celsius :)

I would keep an eye on the water bath and FV temperatures using a thermometer as I found my 100w aquarium heater's temperature dial was way off the actual temp using this setup (some have suggested I need to circulate the water; I would think that the convection would circulate plenty but who knows) - I just know to offset the dial vs. the actual temperature I want by 4-5 degrees.

Do_you_realise said:
Oops sorry I wasn't paying attention - didn't realise this thread was that old!!!

Ignore me...

haha no worrys ...
its all good ...
thanks for the advice with the pics thats great ...
now i no how to position my heater aswell....

i was thinking i might have to lay it down ....

regards mick... :hat: .

Crastney said:
I've just taken deliver of an aquarium heater this one, and the minimum setting is 18 Deg C.
should I be worried that if it's off by four deg then it could be 22?

i think we should both set them up in just water...
and check them against a stick on Thermometer ...
on our out side buckets and set them up...
so when its time to use them its already to go ...
we can then just plug it in and ...
job done ...

Crastney said:
I've just taken deliver of an aquarium heater this one, and the minimum setting is 18 Deg C.
The settings on them are notoriously inaccurate so I'd recommend calibrating it against a thermometer in a jug of water beforehand.

jonnymorris said:
Crastney said:
The settings on them are notoriously inaccurate so I'd recommend calibrating it against a thermometer in a jug of water beforehand.

thanks jonnymorris :thumb: ..
now thats a much easyer way to set the heater ...
ill be doing mine latter ...

jonnymorris said:
Crastney said:

iv got a betta 300w fish tank heater...

and iv just done a calibration test ....

in my flexy builders bucket...

with 2 thermometers

1 stick on...
and 1 drop in thermometer ...

to get a constant 22c reading from them ...

my heater needs to be set on 30c

so if you use a fish tank heater ....
do the same test to calibrat yours ...

and wright it on the box ....

so if you move the heater knob...
you no where it was set ...

Latest posts

Back