Cider brewing first timer! Please help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_oltar

Reaction score
I have two apple trees in the garden and this year I decided to have a go at making some cider - this is my first time at brewing and I would appreciate some further guidance.

I managed to squeeze 17 litres of fresh apple juice which I've transferred to a 5 gallon fermenting vessel added around 800g of sugar and a sachet of yeast - this was all provided by with home brew online kit. Nothing else was added.

I followed the instruction provided and waited 3 weeks for fermenting to take place. I measured the gravity level and one week ago it was 994 and now it is 990 - I understand that this is normal at some point of the fermenting process.

Now the instruction provided say that it is now time to bottle it up. However, after watching several videos and reading forums, I understand that the gravity level should be ideally around 1050-1060 - not quite sure if this is reached when it is bottled or have to wait before bottling it up.

There is now some sediment at the bottom of the fermenting vessel. I have bought 4 one gallon demijohns. Am I correct in executing the next step by carefully funnelling the content into each of the demijohns leaving the sediment behind??? (it has been a month now since I added the yeast)

I also read that I am now supposed to add more sugar! Is this correct? If, so how much sugar do I have to add to bring the gravity levels to normal 1050-60?

Another question I have is if I have to add anything else like other nutrients to have a nice finished product.

I would be proper gutted if such a substantial batch was to go bad, so I would appreciate any guidance and answers to above questions. Thank you!

1.050-1.060 is the starting gravity before fermentation. Add sugar immediately before bottling (not before putting in demijohns) for carbonation around 1/2-1 tsp per 500ml bottle.

1.050-1.060 is the starting gravity before fermentation. Add sugar immediately before bottling (not before putting in demijohns) for carbonation around 1/2-1 tsp per 500ml bottle.
Thanks Simon, I did not have a hydrometer when I started, so I am not sure what the Original Gravity was. I am sure it was around that scale though.

So are you saying, I should not transfer it to the demijohns, but straight to bottle now with a bit of sugar? Also, should I add a tablet of nutrients? Thanks for clarity.

Nutrients won't do anything now since fermentation is over. If you want it extra clear you could transfer to the demijohns adding nothing for a few weeks or just bottle now with the sugar.

No quite sure what alcohol volume you were aiming for but my cider normally comes out at 7.5% with no sugar added, all I do is press the apples and add yeast to the juice, one sachet normally does me the season as I just pull about 1/2 pint out of one fv that is going well and add it to the fresh one (normally spread crushing over a few weekends)
I don't usually go on hydrometer readings for when it has finished I just leave it a couple of week after it has finished bubbling just to make sure, but a lot of last years batch is still in barrels under air locks, and does not seem to be any problems

Latest posts

Back