can I sweeten???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexdg

Reaction score
hi Chippy sorry to bother you my first kits has now cleared, I know I have to leave it to improve but I had a little taste and it seems very dry , can I do anything to sweeten it a bit now as it has cleared ??
regards
alex

Did you stabilise it, if the answer is yes -

Yes you can add grape juice or sugar, i used to add a couple of teaspoons to a 1.5 litre bottle just before drinking it then shook it until it dissolved, if you are going to add it to the DJ its better to put the sugar in a pan with a little boiled water so it dissolves then let it cool and add it to the DJ.

Just bottled a RGJ & OJ wow. Finished off very dry at about 16% ABV. I didn't add stabiliser. Don't have any but I'm sweetening as I drink by mixing in about 10% RGJ in the glass.Improves the colour too and gives the option of experimenting with other juices

yes I stabalized, used the amount the kit said , but would like it a bit sweeter, going to try the sugar in hot water thing , thanks guys

will do, going to try and resist temptation for a week or two , how long in reality should I leave it to improve ??

If its clear and you like how it tastes drink it, you don't have to age it in fact most of the juice wines i make don't get much time in the bottles.

I have used it from day one and never had anything i have made finish early, i do add a teaspoon of nutrient to each gallon just to help it along.

Yeah dave0w. It says on the tub "specially formulated for high alcohol". I'm tempted to see how far it can be pushed and still turn out a drinkable product. I've seen so called "turbo yeasts" that boast 20% or so.

I suppose at the end of the day it depends what you want your wine for, you can make wine of around 10-12% for 'everyday drinking for BBQs etc or use the turbo yeasts to produce 20%+ and have your BBQ guests admitted to hospital by a fleet of ambulances and have to clean up the mess!!!
Back in a former life I used 'Tokay' yeast with Tronozymol nutrient, not so much for the high alcohol, although they would produce dry vermouth strength but to make sure that all my 'brews' fermented right out. You can alw2ays add sweetness but you can't take it away.
With these turbo yeasts I've read that you can have trouble keeping them cool enough and the yeasts are actually formulated for 'biodigesters'...... Hmmm do I really want to be drinking that stuff?

Latest posts

Back