SMASH suggestions?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
Tried my first SMASH today, which is quite something given all the beer I've ever drank 😂

It was a mosaic and was incredible. And I think I want to try and brew a SMASH.

What suggestions do people have as to a good hop for this?

You're looking for a dual-use hop. Chinook, Target and Mosaic I have used myself: brilliant stuf. Ahtanum and Citra I've heard ought to be good too, but personally: Citra as bitter hop?
SMASH is the way to go for easy brewing, AND spray malt is a nice option too. :drunk:

Keep us posted!

You could try Manderina Bavaria. It has some very Cascade like qualities as well as the orange flavour you would expect from the name. Cascade is a great choice too, it hasn't been around forever for no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My most recent brew was a Mosaic SMASH. A very tasty brew [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheers folks. They all sound like good solid hops. Mandarina Bavaria sounds good too.

I'll read up on those hops and see if one ticks all the boxes for me.

And as Clint suggested, it'll take some restraint to not add some crystal.

No single hop will make a SMaSH better than another. Want to brew a good SMaSH? Look beyond hop selection. Beer is a sum of many parts, malt, hop, yeast, water, mash technique, hop schedule, fermentation.

A Lager, Kolsch, Saison, Bitter, Mild, IPA, APA, Lambic, Berlinerweisse, etc can all be made as a SMaSH.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The smash off winner was Munich and Falconers flight (which is a blend...) which I sampled as my first SMaSH off vid (I think).

I really enjoyed the different malt/hop/yeast combos and comparing similar beers to try and see what each ingredient brought to the table, if you just want to experience hop flavour you can swap out a single (flavour hop) within a malt bill you like - a bit like the GH singe hop beers.

http://www.morebeer.com/articles/homebrew_beer_hops has been my go to hop list for trying to find the flavours I'd like to combine.

Enjoy your brews.

The smash off winner was Munich and Falconers flight (which is a blend...) which I sampled as my first SMaSH off vid (I think).

I really enjoyed the different malt/hop/yeast combos and comparing similar beers to try and see what each ingredient brought to the table, if you just want to experience hop flavour you can swap out a single (flavour hop) within a malt bill you like - a bit like the GH singe hop beers.

http://www.morebeer.com/articles/homebrew_beer_hops has been my go to hop list for trying to find the flavours I'd like to combine.

Enjoy your brews.
Thanks for the link, excellent resource. I've bookmarked it.

I had a quick look and searched for pineapple and passion fruit. Victoria look just right for me, plus I like piney hops too which is also mentioned in their profile.

[emoji106]

I brewed with Vic Secret last night, and it seems to be an interesting variety with different characteristics when used for bittering, late kettle, aroma steep or dry hopping. I don't know how good it is, but certainly seems to give scope for experimentation in a SMaSH.

Latest posts

Back