Wort cooling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H12rpo

Reaction score
Anybody use those plastic freezable blocks intented for cool boxes? Seems to me they’d do the job well?

post boil I think you would need quite a few and perhaps sanitation could be a pita as i doubt you could rely on pasturisation in the hot liquor??

for maintaining a cool fermentation temp recycled 2l milk bottles have a much higher thermal mass and are probably a lot cheaper ;)

but dont stop thinking of alternative approaches, someone had an inkling that led to nochill etc..

Take the time to build an immersion cooler. It will probably work out cheaper than the number of cooling blocks you would need. :thumb:

New Cooler MK2.jpg

Anybody use those plastic freezable blocks intented for cool boxes? Seems to me they’d do the job well?

I don't see why not. I .make a bath in the sink and use 500ml water bottles (reuse) .
As long as they get the temp down that's all that matters.

A cheaper option would be to buy a load of 500ml water bottles from the supermarket (tip a bit of the water out to allow for expansion) and freeze them. Then when you come to use them chuck them in some star san to sanitise then chuck them into the wort to cool it down. I've been doing this for years and never had a problem.

I will say though, I just do this to 'finish off' (from about 50C) the cooling to pitching temp. Normally I make 5L or 10L batches (the 10L batches I put into 2x5L FV's before then combining in a 10L FV for fermentation) and either put the 5L FV's outside for a few hours (in the winter) or leave overnight (in the summer)

And I thought it was something to do with the old single spin dryer that is not showing in the photo, Dutto never throws anything away:lol:

Old? Ha! I had it foisted on me just last year ... :nono: :nono:

... about the same time that I had worked out that I could fit a second Brew Fridge in that space! :doh: :doh:

What makes your comment so ironic is that just yesterday I found a veritable graveyard of under-the-worktop fridges that had been put out because they no longer chill. Believe me, cooling something to 20 degrees is not a major problem in Skegness; no matter what the Tourist Board tell you! :whistle: :whistle:

Back