Turbo cider recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys ,is Lidls 1L Apfelsaft ok for this recipe..It is from concentrate 100%..dont think there is any Preservatives.just wondering if i need to boil it or not,if so i will take it back and exchange it..

graysalchemy said:
If you want just bog standard run of the mill cider then any of the above will be OK however I think it tends to be a bit thin and insipid. If you want more of a west country cider you need to add 1 tsp of tannin per gallon this gives the bite and 1 tsp per gallon of malic acid. You also need to age for about 2-3 months ( my last was aged for 10 months) The aging is important as it undergoes further changes which gives it that cider character. Personally I just use apple juice with no sugar this will give you a cider of 5.5% ish. If you want to sweeten you can add splenda once it has mature just before bottling.

:thumb:
Do you mean age before bottling for 2-3 months in a bin under airlock ,or age in the bottle?..

alank950 said:
Hi guys ,is Lidls 1L Apfelsaft ok for this recipe..It is from concentrate 100%..dont think there is any Preservatives.just wondering if i need to boil it or not,if so i will take it back and exchange it..

Yeh, the Lidl ones work quite well. I've used the apple nectar a few times, and their other apples too.

alank950 said:
graysalchemy said:
If you want just bog standard run of the mill cider then any of the above will be OK however I think it tends to be a bit thin and insipid. If you want more of a west country cider you need to add 1 tsp of tannin per gallon this gives the bite and 1 tsp per gallon of malic acid. You also need to age for about 2-3 months ( my last was aged for 10 months) The aging is important as it undergoes further changes which gives it that cider character. Personally I just use apple juice with no sugar this will give you a cider of 5.5% ish. If you want to sweeten you can add splenda once it has mature just before bottling.

Do you mean age before bottling for 2-3 months in a bin under airlock ,or age in the bottle?..

Just seen your earlier post

Andy you mature it in bulk under airlock for 2-3 months

graysalchemy said:

When do you suggest adding the Malic Acid and Tannin?...at start of first fermentation or after ,during aging.And 5teaspoons of each is not to much for 5gal?.Also how much priming sugar do you think is needed at bottling.thanks

Add all the additions at the begining. 5 tsp each is fine imho but obviously tastes and palette will vary. This should give you a decent west country style cider which if you allow MLF to take place and you mature for 3-4 months will have some bite (tannin) and a little tartness from the acid. It will however be dry, if you want a sweeter cider you will need to back sweeten with splenda or something (not sugar)

Priming sugar if you want a fizz i would say 6g per Litre of cider. I have used as much as 8 but it tends to disturb the sediment off the bottom and you end up with cloudy cider.

Hi
oldbloke where do you get your pomegranat juice from as all i can
find is a juice drink (mainly water).

Keith

graysalchemy said:
Add all the additions at the begining. 5 tsp each is fine imho but obviously tastes and palette will vary. This should give you a decent west country style cider which if you allow MLF to take place and you mature for 3-4 months will have some bite (tannin) and a little tartness from the acid. It will however be dry, if you want a sweeter cider you will need to back sweeten with splenda or something (not sugar)

Priming sugar if you want a fizz i would say 6g per Litre of cider. I have used as much as 8 but it tends to disturb the sediment off the bottom and you end up with cloudy cider.

Thanks!, :thumb: i hope to produce a batch of original tasting cider ..Wondering if all brews mature their taste if kept under airlock for a few months.I have a batch of ginger beer fermenting at the moment and if i thought this was the case i would store it also or add anything?.

Cider and wine respond well to maturing in bulk, beer I tend only to mature for a couple of weeks before bottling then mature in the bottle for 3-4 months, as i have always had problems with infections in beer stored more than a month.

Never done ginger beer but as long as the abv is high then it should mature without getting infected.

KeithS said:
Hi
oldbloke where do you get your pomegranat juice from as all i can
find is a juice drink (mainly water).

Keith

It probably was a "juice drink", but with no sorbates or other yeast-unfriendly preservatives. You don't want a vast amount of pomegranate flavour. It has about the same sugar content as AJ. It was from Morrison's, I'll check the shelf next time I'm in to see what it actually was.

Hi
Thanks, was not sure if the juice drink was ok to use, was thinking it may
water it down a bit.

Yup, it was Morrison's own-brand pomegranate juice drink: 37% pomegranate juice (from extract), only preservative is citric acid which is OK, usgar at 1.6g/litre is very close to AJ, and it has a bit of malic in it which can only help a cider.

I have a DJ of pressed apple juice on the go, with no added sugar, and some lovely cider yeast from Julie's home brew shop, quite excited about making my first Turbo cider :clap:

alank950 said:
graysalchemy said:

Thanks!, :thumb: i hope to produce a batch of original tasting cider ..Wondering if all brews mature their taste if kept under airlock for a few months.I have a batch of ginger beer fermenting at the moment and if i thought this was the case i would store it also or add anything?.

When maturing 5gal of TC in bulk would it be best to have it a room temp 18c or cold storage.Also will it need racked again within the 3-4 month period?.

Elizium Dead but Dreaming Elderberry Stout??....I thought i was reading something of a Fields of the Nephilim album cover....lol. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:

hi, could you just confirm please, when do you add the tannin and the malic acid? you method sounds great :cheers:

add the malic and tannin at start but if sterile can be added whenever- btw just bottled mine go at this-blimey it looked and tasted bad defo gonna need the 3 months lol

wilsoa1111 said:
add the malic and tannin at start but if sterile can be added whenever- btw just bottled mine go at this-blimey it looked and tasted bad defo gonna need the 3 months lol

What temp is best for the 3 month mature..home temp or cold storage?>

alank950 said:
What temp is best for the 3 month mature..home temp or cold storage?>

I'll be making my 5G batch next weekend. Will leave it in the house at 18C for initial fermentation and after a couple of weeks transfer it to secondary for bulk storage in my garage (very cold at the moment) then will bottle it in middle of may. Drink it in July. :party:

Back