Turbo cider recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started my TC on Saturday with 25ltrs of Lidl apple juice and 1 litre of Cranberry..I added 5tsp of tannin and 5 tsp of malic acid and its fermenting nicely with a sweetened cider yeast....is it necessary to add pectolase?.if so how much and can this be added now?..the apple juice i used was not the cloudy stuff..

Does this stuff last?
I was going to make some for summer, i can get Apple juice through work for 48p per litre, so for about £10 its worth a blast!!
I prefer medium to sweet rather than dry, what will this turn out like?
:thumb:

I have not tried over 3 months but it was fine to that point and tasted very nice, i cant see why it won't last alot longer.

Mine was quite dry but you can back sweeten with a sweetner or just add more juice with the natural sugars

LeedsBrewer said:
mine is being aged for 6 months in bulk so yes it'll last :thumb:
I want it for over the summer idealy so i think ill leave it until the end of Feb to be on the safe side.
The present Mrs Kinleycat (who incedently thought i was crackers to start with all the "hassle" of Homebrewing) is getting miffed that there is nothing brewing and bubbling in a bucket for her!! :whistle: :whistle:
KC :thumb:

Does it foam up much during fermentation? :wha:
Im just thinking that i have a 25ltr youngs fermenting bucket and if it goes berserk the present Mrs KC will be "not too pleased" :nono:
Cheers :cheers:
KC

I'm bored and I've got a fermenting bucket empty!!
So I'm going to have a go at some raspberry turbo cider.
I've got 12 litres of apple juice (from concentrate) a 440ml bottle of lowicz raspberry syrup, tannin, malic acid and cider yeast.
Unless told otherwise I'm going with the apple juice and the raspberry syrup plus 4 litres of water 4 tspns of tannin and 4 tspns of malic acid unless these aren't suitable to fruit flavoured cider.
Oh and a pack of cider yeast!!

Kinleycat said:
I'm bored and I've got a fermenting bucket empty!!
So I'm going to have a go at some raspberry turbo cider.
I've got 12 litres of apple juice (from concentrate) a 440ml bottle of lowicz raspberry syrup, tannin, malic acid and cider yeast.
Unless told otherwise I'm going with the apple juice and the raspberry syrup plus 4 litres of water 4 tspns of tannin and 4 tspns of malic acid unless these aren't suitable to fruit flavoured cider.
Oh and a pack of cider yeast!!
BUGGER!!!
Spent so much time getting the temp right forgot to take OG reading!!
Any ideas? I don't want to take any liquid out now as they're was only 5g of yeast in the pack!!
Didn't bother with the tannin or malic acid, as its only for the Mrs!!

Kinleycat said:
BUGGER!!!
Any ideas?

Got all the packs from the juices used? They'll list sugar content, work it out from that.
I rarely use my hydrometer for anything - I know what sugars went in and I ferment to dry, can work it all out from that.
Maybe that syrup won't list the sugar, but it can probably be Googled.

oldbloke said:
Kinleycat said:
BUGGER!!!
Any ideas?

Got all the packs from the juices used? They'll list sugar content, work it out from that.
I rarely use my hydrometer for anything - I know what sugars went in and I ferment to dry, can work it all out from that.
Maybe that syrup won't list the sugar, but it can probably be Googled.
20.4 per 200ml apple 1224g
Syrup total 285.56g
Total 1509.56g in about 17 litres.
How do I work that out?
KC :thumb:

those calculations are just rough estimates. I'd assume that the 5.2%ABV is if it fermented right out to dry (as in 0.990) though i might be wrong?? To be accurate you'll need OG and FG.

IIRC cider yeast is similar or the same as champagne yeast so it'll probably ferment out quite close to that any way.

LeedsBrewer said:
those calculations are just rough estimates. I'd assume that the 5.2%ABV is if it fermented right out to dry (as in 0.990) though i might be wrong?? To be accurate you'll need OG and FG.

IIRC cider yeast is similar or the same as champagne yeast so it'll probably ferment out quite close to that any way.
Thanks LB :thumb:
Where are you in Leeds?

LeedsBrewer said:
Over at Crossgates end. Think i'm on the map. Top left.
Not a million miles away then, I'll have to call in some time when Mrs KC wants to go to tesco, and eye up your set up!! :D

Foam completely gone after 48 hours, is it too late to add some yeast nutrient? Got 30g from Wilkos for 80p

Back