Blue moon recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
I bought a couple of bottles of Blue Moon from Sainsbods, just for a change and never read the blurb. Its very nice and considering I'm not a great wheat beer fan its something I'd like to try and reproduce :wha:

Anyone have a tried and tested recipe

From what I can gather (from Wheat) it is a Belgian wit kind of a beer but using wheat malt instead of raw wheat. There are oats in there too which help with the haze. The brewery use a step infusion and the yeast that they use for English ales. Navel and Valencia orange peel instead of curacau, I would guess there is some coriander based on style but it is ages since I had any so I might be off, tbh I'm no that mad on Belgian wit biers. No notes on the hops but I'd go with saaz or maybe something like tettnang for a wit. However, as I said, I'm not that keen on them, so I've no experience brewing them...

Hopefully somebody who can refine the info I've stolen will be along soon. You might to well to look at BYO magazine or on US forums.

If you can dig it up, the brewer was on an old episode of basic brewing radio. The only thing I remember was they used the normal American ale yeast. I.E. US-05

I`ve just ordered the bits for a blue moon clone :D I`m going along these lines;

40litres

3500g pale malt
3500g wheat malt
1000g flaked oats

60g hallertauer hersbrucker 3% - 60mins
40g hallertauer hersbrucker 3% - 15mins

coriander and orange - amounts undecided - any ideas?

yeast -wlp 400 belgian wit ale (not sure that US-05 would give me what i`m after with this clone, especially as it normally clears well :wha: )

IBU`s around 14 and ABV around 4.5%, I may try to squeeze a little more grain in the tun to stretch to 46litres :drink: For me a wheat beer is all about the yeast choice rather than the hops, they are just for balance so any low alpha noble hop should work well - I have seen a recipe with cascade and US-05 but i`m after a cloudy wheaty orange hit :cool:

Keep us posted with what you decide on :thumb:

Cracking info as usual gents :cheers:

For a wheat beer it didn't have a strong wheat taste, very fruity/sweet at over 5%, couldn't pick up the coriander, the orange peel came through slightly though. I would of guessed tettnang hops and I need some of them for a sam adams clone.

Need to make a list before I order off Rob :thumb:

good comment about the coriander - in how to brew like a monk they say if you can name the spice then you`ve used to much, tettnang would be great, i love that hop in summer ales as well works really well. What yeast are you planning on sean? Maybe rob will stock the dried curacao orange if a few people were interested?

Wlp 400 looks like the yeast to use Rick from what I've read on the web, which is getting out of my comfort zone as I usually only do dried packet yeasts.

Its been at the back of my mind to do a decent sam adams clone since I had it on draft in Boston a few years back so need to order a few 100g's of tettnang.

Not done a picture brewday in ages so will have remedy that, either with this brew or a stout Father in-law is begging for

Sean :cheers:

Give the liquid yeast a go - easy to split six ways with some spraymalt so keeps the costs down, I`ve had great results with liquid yeasts but still rate us-05 as a great yeast :thumb:

Latest posts

Back