AG#41 Blue Moon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having not brewed for over a month I couldn`t wait to get going on this ! (wedding and honeymoon got it the way of the brewing schedule :eek: )

Based on the american Blue Moon - recipe from a mixture of here and some other sites, a belgian wit bier style however some recipes suggest the use of US-O5 (even at the brewery) dunno how true or false this is but I`ve gone with whitelabs yeast WLP400 belgian witbier. I didn`t get any dried curaco orange peel and forgot to get any fresh seville orange for the peel and as the boil was on early I settled for a jar of marmalade - some recipes suggest this anyway, I used a 454gram jar for 46litres - 30g per 100g is orange so 136g of orange and 65g per 100g is sugar so almost 295g of sugar, I`ve calculated this as SUGAR in the recipe so as get my numbers correct but I didn`t add any extra sugar.
Whole coriander seed was crushed in a pestle and mortar and the marmalade boiled in a pint of water before adding, recipe below.

Blue Moon 46L 4.4%ABV

3700g Wheat malt
3000g Pale malt
1000g Flaked oats
700g Munich malt
295g Sugar

50g Hallertauer Hersbrucker - 60min boil
20g Hallertauer hersbrucker - 10min boil
454g orange marmalade - 10min boil
36g coriander whole - 10min boil
1/2 tsp ground coriander - 10min boil

All went to plan and yeast starter pitched - looking forward to this one,

OG:1044
Expected FG:1010
IBU:12,8
SRM:4.7

Also bottled 2gallons of raspberry wine which is delicous, racked two gallon cranberry, two gallon WOW and one gallon rhubarb :drink:

rickthebrew said:
Having not brewed for over a month I couldn`t wait to get going on this ! (wedding and honeymoon got it the way of the brewing schedule :eek: )
Congratulations :)
rickthebrew said:
some recipes suggest the use of US-O5 (even at the brewery) dunno how true or false this is but I`ve gone with whitelabs yeast WLP400 belgian witbier.
According to Stan Hieronymous in Wheat they use the same yeast that they use for English Ales, no idea what that is of course but US05 seems like an odd choice for English Ale. I'm sure it will turn out well with a wit yeast though, given the recipe.

Good stuff Rick, not got around to doing mine yet, but have had several bottles from sainsbods and really enjoy this beer :thumb:

I shall be watching this thread with keen interest as I fancy trying an American-style wheat beer soon. Keep us posted with updates! :cheers:

Incidentally, was was the OG of the wort? The last pale ale that I made had a very low OG, around 1.030, because I used a low grain/water ratio in the recipe.

I hit my target OG of 1044, I did a ratio of 1kg grain to 2 1/2 litre water - worked well I ran it of slowly and had no problems - quite a lot of oats and some get stuck mashes but I couldn't be arsed doing a gluten rest !!! Smells lovely if it's as good as the hefes I've done with wlp380 I'll be happy !!!! :D

Latest posts

Back