Got my stuck woodfordes wherry going again...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloe jim

Reaction score
Hello, a few weeks ago my Wherry stuck at 1.020 so i got a lot of tips from this site, gave it a stir and waited, and waited and waited...
Still no joy, so gave it a bit of a jump start...
The tips were great, so with nothing else to lose i decided to make up a starter(like when you make bread)...
So i got my pyrex measuring jug, and put 200ml of luke warm water and added 1 tsp of tronozymol nutrient and then 1 tsp caster suger,
then stirred in a sachet of Safale S-04 dry ale yeast... gave it a stir and covered with cling film...
Within 15 mins the yeast was really feeding on the sugar and nutrient and had doubled in size, so chucked it in the fv and gave it a genlte stir...
Temp was a constant 20 deg as before....
Left it for a good 10 days and checked the gravity which read 1.010.. Result
This has now had a good three weeks in the fv overall so i hope it will keg well....

Well done that man :thumb: it's a good feeling getting a brew going again after the time / effort invested in the first place.

That Safale-04 really is a bit of an animal :grin:

When I did Wherry, I chucked the yeast that came with it in the bin, and did it with S-04 from the off.

Your beer should come out just fine, mine was a nice pint - sadly all consumed now.

Totally agree with you,
Going to use the S-04 (Rambo yeast) all the time from now on, its not worth waisting all that time and effort for the sake of a £1.90 sachet....

just to say was in the same boat as the jim and just to day i chucked in a lid full of nutrient and half a pack of s-04, and splonked the buggery with me paddle and just checked it 2 hours later and burbling nicely.

This thread might be helpful to me, as people may or may not have seen from the St Peter's Honey Porter Kit thread, it looks like mine has stuck.

Would S-04 be acceptable to re-start the fermentation? I've read the description and it says it's used for a large range of ale beers, so I reckon it probably will be.

The St Peters kits are made at the same place as wherry and I've had them stall the same way so I'd imagine you can get them going again as you would with the wherry.

Back