?? Landlord vs SH Dark Ruby vs Gales Festival ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
Diggedy dang, got myself all worked up for a brewday this coming weekend, I have more hops than I could shake a stick at, but sadly no Goldings...

I have East Kent Goldings and Styrian Goldings.. are EKG just the same as Goldings?

I was going to do Timothy Taylor Landlord or Sarah Hughes's Dark Ruby Mild, but both call for Goldings

I've tried Landlord and I like it, but I've heard good things about SHDRM too (but not tried it).

I do have the hops for Gales Festival Mild (Fuggles) but again not tried it.

I've picked these out of the Wheeler book, BYOBRA - mainly because they are award winning beers

Any advice on Goldings would be appreciated, as would opinions of GFM

:grin:

evanvine said:
EKG and Goldings are one and the same in my book!
Styrian Goldings are actually a strain of Fuggles.

Yay, I did a google in the meantime and came across this.. :thumb:

"Goldings: This is a group of traditional and very popular English aroma hops grown prior to 1790. Widely cultivated also in the U.S.A. They are called East Kent Goldings if grown in East Kent, Kent Goldings if grown in mid-Kent, and Goldings if grown elsewhere in the U.K. There are many different named cultivars such as Amon's Early Bird, Cobbs, Bramling,Canterbury, Petham Rodmersham and in Worcestershire - Mathon. They tend to have a smooth, sweet flavor. Most types of Goldings will work in place of another (Whitbread Golding Variety for East Kent Goldings, e.g.). Note that Styrian Goldings are not of this family, they rather are identical to Fuggles."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hop_varieties

I've brewed both TTLandlord and the Gales Festival Mild last year :hmm:

peronally ...

Timothy Taylor Landlord :thumb: excellent pint :drink:

enjoyed the first brew of TTL so much did a second 5 gallon just to make sure :whistle:

Latest posts

Back