chocolate???????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've put it in stout - never heard of any in wine though :wha:

Sounds wrong to me - sure one of the more knowledgable folk on here will explain the chemical does or dont's of chocolate in wine, and which type if any - dark or milk :sick: :sick: :sick: - would be any good or not?

:cheers:

There was a thread about a chocolate wine a while a go but unfortunately I can't find it. It was suggested to use a coffee wine recipe and replace the ground coffee with cocoa powder. No one said that it would be a problem in the last thread though.

Chocolate is fat, sugar, and flavouring, basically. You don't really want to be putting fats into your brew.
Chocolate essence, maybe.
Most beers with the name chocolate in them it refers to the type of malt known as chocolate

evil.freddie said:
hello has anyone tryed putting chocolate into wine or cider? or is it one of those things u dont do
cheers

A meadery make a raspberry chocolate mead with secondarying on choco nibs if you cant get them then pure coaco is fine like that baking stuff just make sure its only got coaco in it like the bourville choco its only ingrediant is coaco

I was bored one day and used the Treat brand chocolate sauce in cherry syrup brew turned out rather nice ... I got a 500ml bottle for 50p from tesco, no persevative or addatives just coco and inverted sugars yumyum! well worth an experimet with!

I did a nice extract stout.

Added 250g of coca powder at the end of the boil.. It was a great beer but honestly I couldnt taste the the chocolate...

In beer coca and chocolate are high in fats so ruin head retention... essence may be the the way forward.

Darcey said:
In beer coca and chocolate are high in fats so ruin head retention... essence may be the the way forward.

Not so with my Milestone Black Pearl - fantastic head retention :shock: and an emptied glass looks like it's had Guinness in it to the bottom ;) That had a bar of Lidl's 80% cocoa chocolate melted into it, now whether the chocolate taste I get in there is from the kit, or my addition of it remains unknown......

:cheers:

Darcey said:
I did a nice extract stout.

Added 250g of coca powder at the end of the boil.. It was a great beer but honestly I couldnt taste the the chocolate...

I mite try it with the essence cuz I've been thinking of a chlli and chocolate wine with a red grape base
But I've got 2 on the go atm so next pay day I think
Cheers all

Defiantly be giving that one ago

An update for this post I've don't an Experiment with the chocolate essence I found one in waitrose the recipe I've used is:

Chocolate Orange cider(hopefully)

2 ltrs of apple juice
1 ltr of Orange juice
2 lemons
10 drops of choclate extract
Malic acid
Yeast nutrient
Cider yeast
And I work it out so that with the suger in the juices to be about 1.2 kg

Its aging at the moment and I tryed a bit tastes nice but young it has come out a bit on the strong side at 10.6%
But here's hoping that in august I'm going to have a nice strong cider to drink for my missis bday
Thanks all

Latest posts

Back