Will this work?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molineux

Reaction score
Right, make your wine mixture(Lets say concentrated grape juice, sugar, wine yeast), ferment until almost all sugar is converted then siphon it off into a secondary container leaving the sediment and an inch or so of the almost finished wine.

Add another batch of the original recipe (minus the yeast) to the container with the sediment and almost finished wine. Stir the whole thing up and leave.

Would the yeast in the sediment and leftover wine multiply to ferment the newly added mixture?

Just wondering. :thumb:

It should if there is healthy yeast there. When brewing beer some people syphon off the beer into botlles/keg etc and just add a new batch of wort straight on top of the old yeast

Although there may be viable yeast will the old trub not add off flavours?
I thought that was the reason not to leave the brew on the trub for too long!

Andy

I was looking into something similar. I found this nice little guide....

http://www.mikebeer.net/reuseyeast.htm

Seems to cover everything quite well. I personally wouldn't use the whole sediment, as per the guide splitting it seems the best bet as you would just end up with more and more sediment with less and less useful vino :D

NOt done it but you could add the must onto the sediment, stir/oxygenate it then let it ferment and settle for 2-3 days then rack it into a clean FV. THis should help to get rid of most of the unwanted sediment from your previous brew but keep the viable yeast in suspension for the racking.

Andyhull said:
Although there may be viable yeast will the old trub not add off flavours?
I thought that was the reason not to leave the brew on the trub for too long!

Andy

Is it not after couple weeks?

Back