Starter help, exactly how to store?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm going to try a white beer recipe but I only want to make a gallon. Sticking with the recipe I've ordered a batch of WLP410, which is obviously for a much larger batch.

What are the best steps for me to take in order to brew the gallon but keep a suitable amount of the yeast available for a full batch at a later date?

I'm guessing I would be best to make a 2L starter, use 0.25L or something like that for the gallon? What do I do with it afterwards? Fridge storage? How long is it good for?

Any help would be appreciated, I have done a bit of searching but a lot of the information seems to be based on assumptions of knowing what you are doing..... please spell it out for me as I have no idea :D

Unfortunately I'm only brewing a gallon so the trub won't be anywhere near as large. I'm thinking I'll need to do it sort of back to front, as in get a large starter going and then split it. Rather than just brewing as normal and then using the trub.

At least I know how to store it now, thanks :)

RobWalker said:
Same concept applies here -

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4406

I hear people have gotten 6-8 starters from a WLP with 500g DME.

I just went through that guide and I honestly can't make head nor tail of it :oops:

In one stage its said that the liquid holds all the yeast, yet in the next its said to decant most of the liquid in order to save the sediment as it's yeast rich. The next pic then shows the liquid in test tubes.

Is it the liquid that's kept or the yeast at the bottom? Is there no additional water/DME added to the mix in those steps? Seems to go from hardly any liquid, to loads of liquid in one step with nothing added.

Feel really stupid now as everyone in that thread seems to get it no bother (hence, I need a PROPER idiots guide :D ).

Back