Back to Basic's 2, Showing how easy AG is.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
Right further from the Interest thread on How easy can making AG beer be?...seriously easy ! We now can say this is a goer.

The beers will be judged if you want to post them, Our very own BJCP judge in training Dunfie has Offered to sample all these brews and give a result.

We are going to set a Basic Malt bill that each brew must stick to. Just to make it easier for non AG brewers.
Firstly the Ground rules

All Grain only
1 to 6 Litres final volume
Any Hops allowed
Any Yeast allowed
Copper & Keg Finings allowed
No Homebrewing equipment (or commercial) to be used with the exception of your thermometer, scales and fermenting vessel (demijohn).
No Brewing Software to be used.
Pictures must be taken of each stage of the brew.
Campden Allowed.

The basic malt bill is
96% Pale malt and 4% Crystal Malt which works out like this
750g + 30g = 4 ltr Final volume@ 1.046
940g + 40g = 5 ltr Final volume@ 1.046
1120g + 50g = 6ltr Final volume@ 1.046
Depending on how much you want to make

You can add different coloured malts Ie black, choc, roast barley etc
Hopping is your own choice as well as yeast used.

I think we need to set a closing date for the bottles to be @ Dunfies which I need to speak to V1 and Dunfie about But i would be inclined to say no later than end of October but TBC

If Non AG brewers want small quantities of Grain I can help out with some, also post up in the wanted section and see if anyone else can help out locally to you.

Right now go raid the cupboards and find things to brew in :thumb:

is this for the competition next year or just a beer judging comp? I could always hop over to Dunfies and help him dispatch a few of the beers. :whistle:

You can have one of mine. :grin: I stopped using DJ's years ago as 1 gal just isn't enough. normally. :D Having said that I'm using 2 at the moment with my lemon wine experiment. But I still have loads.

I do this all the time kitchen pans lol oh i might have to use my grain mill am i allowed if not ill think up something else :cool:

Ace love this challenge, am going for this tonight!

I only have a 4.5 litre pot so going fo:

600g Maris otter
30g Crystal

Heating the water on the chimnea...then going to mash it in the oven for an hour...then gonna boil for an hour...

Not sure which hops will be using yet? Will have a look in the freezer in a bit...see what I have...

How much hops do you think I should put in?

Im thinking 10g @60 mins and then another 5g @ 15mins and then another 5 @ 0 mins?

I'm well game for this, just be prepared for some stupid questions :D

First of which....

What is a basic malt bill and how does it effect the recipe?

I'm guessing that this is the grain that must be used in the recipe? So the additional malts referred to, are they for colour only or do they add to the strength, flavour, etc too?

I'm hoping to buy some malt off of a member as I would rather just buy what I need than a batch that I probably won't use.

the darker malts will add both colour and flavour - in a normal batch they'd be used pretty sparingly, so only tiny amounts would be needed for this brew length :thumb:

bobsbeer said:
Can you use recipe books, such as Wheeler or Line?

You can if they have the same basic malt bill as stated.

abeyptfc said:
is this for the competition next year or just a beer judging comp? I could always hop over to Dunfies and help him dispatch a few of the beers. :whistle:

it's a separate thing to the beer comps next year. It's a just for fun thing to show people we need only basic pots to brew good beer. Hopefully Dunfie could give some feedback on each brew, if he's not swamped with beers :)

ScottM said:
I'm well game for this, just be prepared for some stupid questions :D

First of which....

What is a basic malt bill and how does it effect the recipe?

I'm guessing that this is the grain that must be used in the recipe? So the additional malts referred to, are they for colour only or do they add to the strength, flavour, etc too?

I'm hoping to buy some malt off of a member as I would rather just buy what I need than a batch that I probably won't use.

Basic malt gives everyone a plain good start, you can add to this with the different colours of malt that won't impart any strength into the beer unless you chuck way more than is ever needed. but will play with colours and flavours. You can just use the basic malts and still produce great beer.

I don't think it's needed but if you wish to use one you can. As most people on here would have one anyway theres no advantage over anyone not using one.

By using a hydrometer I thought it would give an indication of how successful the mash had been by being able to check the SG. But then again do we need to know? :hmm:

Dave1970 said:
Muddydisco said:
You can add different coloured malts Ie black, choc, roast barley etc

Is it only coloured malts that can be added or is it OK to add a bit of wheat or carapils?

I'll accept either of them. :thumb:

rich27500 said:
How do you post the beer

Wrap it up well and royal mail it, Parcel to go, or other courier. We will organise the where to, in a week or so :thumb: But basically somewhere near Dunfermline is the final destination,

Latest posts

Back