Back to Basic's 2, Showing how easy AG is.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here's my feedback on the stuff I brewed..

Crystal malt is all well and good, in small quantities, I'll be usinng it again in the 5 to 10 percent range in my brews, however as a 100% malt bill it is a little overly powerful flavour wise :(

My second go, not to the competition rules at all, was a MOtter pale malt, plus fuggle hops, plus 1 litre of cherry juice post initial fermentation. The wife is insisting I make more of this, LOTS more :)

What did I learn?

AG is actually very easy, amazingly so in fact. I've lost my 'fear' of AG and have made several more 2 gallon batches to test theories I've developed from reading threads on here, most of them have been drunk :D

The only 'difficult' part is cooling the hot wort down, sitting the pan in a sink of cold water does take rather a long time to achieve pitching temperature :)

I'vev also built 99% of my large scale AG brewery since the first go, should be complete this weekend :D

I have now tasted all 6 beers that were posted to me. I have given as honest feedback as I could and I hope that it was received in the manner that is was given.

What do you want me to do now?

Announce the winner only?
Announce the top three in order?
Announce the all the beers in order?

Okay, I'll go for the top three in reverse order:

First off I was generally impressed that these beers were made in the kitchen. The margins for error are so small that even an extra few grams of hops can tip the balance. Credit to everyone for giving a go.

3rd Place - Bigyin
Mike attempted an 80/- and managed a clean malty beer. It was closer to an old fashioned Scottish Heavy than an 80/- due to being a bit light. The beer had a bit of a haze and sediment was very loose so that was a bit distracting. There was also very little head retention. Overall I thought it was a very good effort.

2nd Place - Dave1970
Dave sent his Steamer Beer. This was a good clean malty beer that had a creamy mouthfeel and a backnote of brambles. However I felt that there was a bitter imbalance on the palate that dominated the finish. It was a really nice beer.

1st Place - Muddydisco
Nick's beer was like a stout and I really enjoyed this one. Lovely tight creamy head that laced the glass all the way down. Aroma of assam tea, raisins and demarera sugar coming through. Brambles and rich toasty flavours without being harsh. If I am really critical then it had slightly too much CO2 bite and could have done with a bit more body. However it had a really morish farewell without any noticable off flavours.

Well done lads. I think they really did demonstrate what can be achieved by stripping the process back to its bare essentials. :clap:

hats off to the placing gents........ :hat: :hat:

also a well done to all that took part, I'm sure everyone benefited from the experiment

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done Muddydisco :clap:

Thanks for the feedback Dunfie, wish I had the palate and beer flavour vocabulary to give feedback of such high quality :clap:

Thanks guys, must of been a pure fluke as I didn't weigh the grains and the hops are home grown with no way of knowing ibu's.

Again it was fun playing with just a pot or two.

Well done to all that took part, We must make this a yearly event I think :thumb:

Really enjoyed this. Yes Dunfie feedback was taken in the spirit intended and as a result I have made changes to the way I brew so BIG thanks for that. I'd definitely be up for another crack at something like this in the future.

Back