Stout tap & nitro

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glideman

Reaction score
I've just installed a stout faucet on my kegerator & I'm having problems with the amount of head, it's only about 1/2 inch of foam / cream on the top and very little cascading.

I'm using a mixed gas of 70/30 and the stout tap has very small holes in a metal disk. Looking at it, I thought this would give me a glass of foam which seems to be the usual problem. However I'm getting very little foam.

I tried a few gas pressures 10psi, 20,psi, 30psi,40psi and still no foam! I'm using 3/16 inch tubing and the line length is 5ft. I also stripped & checked the metal disk with the holes was in place.

I'm now at a loss as to what to try next, anyone have any ideas? :wha:

Mark1964 said:
we get a good froth on our stout with just a normal tap and just c02. It may be down to a carbonation issue

It has a good creamy head on it it's just not enough, yes it must be something to do with the gas pressure. Just can't work out why putting 40 psi through such tiny holes produces very little head. It had more head when poured through a party tap! :hmm:

I'm having to drink loads of sample pints now to try to sort it out :drink:

Just a thought - how long has the keg been at 40 psi?

The holes work by encouraging the gas to come out of solution but if there is no gas in solution - just 4- psi pushing it out of the keg then that will not help much.

Providing you have purged the O2 out of the keg, set a high pressure then roll the keg on the floor to encourage the gas to dissolve into solution. It helps to have the keg cold when doing this. You should have to replenish the pressure in the keg several times because it will drop as the gas goes into solution.

Once you have more gas in solution, I would expect more bubbles. Let us know if this helps :thumb:

Thanks Eskimobob, you were right. I took the keg out of the fridge & rolled it about for a couple of mins with the nitro set to 30psi & it's pouring spot on now :cheers:

Thanks guys, this place is such a good resource for expert advice :drink:

I'd been messing about with pressures & stripping the tap down looking for faults all day :wha:

Latest posts

Back