Chilli Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amadeus

Reaction score
Growing me own peppers at the moment and look set to have an over abundance of them.
Thought I might have a go at turning some into wine.

Found this recipe on the net.

100 g red & green chillies (about 6 chopped, I removed the seeds, I might try it with the seeds at a later date)
125 g raisins (sliced)
4 pints (2.2 litres) water
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp citric acid
1/2 tsp tannin
2 tsps yeast nutrient
2 tsps general purpose wine yeast
500 g sugar

The chillies and raisins were put into a bucket.
Then the boiling water poured into the bucket.
When cool the pectic enzyme was added.
The mixture was then left for 6 days, and stirred daily.
The liquid was then strained through a sieve into a demijohn.
The specific gravity was 1015.
The citric acid, tannin, sugar, yeast nutrient and yeast were then added.
A fermentation lock fitted and the demijohn left in a warm place.
After 1 day the fermentation started.
After 4 weeks, the fermentation ceased. The wine was racked and 1 campden tablet added.
Bottled after another 3 weeks, the quantities above gave enough wine for 3 bottles.
The alcoholic strength was calculated to be 14%.

Colour : clear, golden
Aroma : interesting mixture of freshly chopped chillies and white wine.
Taste : first is a rather smooth and faintly grapey taste,
then a sudden burst of chilli.
Certainly keeps your mouth tingling for a while.

just starting out in this wine making malarky so not sure if this is a kosher recipe.
Any ideas or thoughts on how to improve it?

Recipe sounds completely fine. Apart from, they seem to have written "chillis" where they should have written the name of a normal, delicious, sweet fruit, like "plums" or "oranges" or "lychees". Mad!

Aha!!

A T is our resident chilli expert, drop him a PM :grin:

EDIT don't PM him, he's probably still on the loo after his "Sh*tter Bitter" :D

leondz said:
Recipe sounds completely fine. Apart from, they seem to have written "chillis" where they should have written the name of a normal, delicious, sweet fruit, like "plums" or "oranges" or "lychees". Mad!
LMFAO :D :D :D

You may mock but it'll be me relaxing with a gallon of the finest brew known to man
enjoying it's sweet but fiery taste.

or i'll be spending the day in the lavvy.
Either way I can enjoy a good book :whistle:

Amadeus said:
You may mock but it'll be me relaxing with a gallon of the finest brew known to man
enjoying it's sweet but fiery taste.

or i'll be spending the day in the lavvy.
Either way I can enjoy a good book :whistle:

Stick a bogroll in the Fridge

Still trying to think of a nice recipe for this.

Was thinking of apple juice, sultana and chillie with cinemon.

Still got a month before all my chillies are red so still time.

why have i got a picture of eddie an ritchie from bottom with flames comming out of their arses stuck in my head

Definitely keep with the updates Amadeus. I am able to get quite a few chillis from the market on a weekend and have made jams and chutneys with them. A wine sounds like a fantastic idea!

To be honest i've just made a batch of chili vodka,
Most my crop into a 1.5 litre bottle of Vodka.
Should be done in time for chrimbo :thumb:

What kind of chillis are they?
I've pondered making chilli beverages with Aji limon (have a herby citrus taste, maybe a spicy cider) or habaneros (more of a fruity taste but very very hot. Maybe a belgian fruit beer with an attitude problem! or fruity wine)
If you use anchos, they will give a very vivid deep red colour to the brew. As it cooks well with chorizo I guess it'd work nicely in a spiced smoked beer :hmm:

Stewarts brewery in loanhead recently did a 'chilli reekie'
Dark malt with a very mild hint of chilli in. damn tasty. :drink:

Any reason not to chop a chilli and shove it into a WOW?

I am currently growing jalapinos, cayennes and habaneros. God only knows what I am going to do with the latter. The first two are ripe and ready.

ricardo said:
Used to be a bottled Chilli Beer on the market.....lager style with a whole red chilli in the bottle......
Seems it is still around..........
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHILI-Chili-Fla ... B004EAJ0GW
Yeah I tried this once before and it was really nice tbh. It was a nice mexican style beer but with a bite of chilli at the end! Their website is at http://www.chilibeer.com/ and I remember buying it from a beer shop in York. I would be very interested in making a similar beer myself although I arent sure whether the chilli that is sat in the bottle of beer is functional or just there for aesthetic reasons (it's one of those pickled ones that you get from kebab shops that aren't actually very hot).

Last edited by a moderator:
Banksy said:
...I am currently growing jalapinos, cayennes and habaneros. God only knows what I am going to do with the latter...
I had a particularly fruitful crop of orange habaneros 2 years ago. I air-dried them in the house and, once they were completely dry, I ground them down in a food processor, seeds, placenta the lot and kept the resultant flakes in a small Kilner-type jar. Beautiful it was too - and hot! - I only finished the jar last week!

Latest posts

Back