Help with recipe please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1bottler

Reaction score
Hi , please don't laugh
I am new to whole grain brewing. A while ago I saw a recipe I would like to try. I bought all the ingredients then I couldn't find the recipe..... So rather than go ahead and brew something even I couldn't drink I thought I would be best to ask the experts.
I have
1 kg medium crystal malt crushed
1 kg amber malt crushed
5 kg Maris Pale Ale malt crushed
100 gms super alpha hops AA 13.1
100 gms cascade hops nz AA 6.7
Danstar Nottingham ale yeast [kept in freezer]
Irish moss
I am using a 50 lt boiler
from what I noted I was going to use 4.5 kg grain, .225 malt, 13gm super alpha [bittering]
28 gm cascade at 45mins [flavouring] and 56 cacade at 55mins [aroma] + irish moss. finish at 60 mins
volume 24 lt
I am far enough away not to hear the sighs of exasperation, but I will appreciate any advice that you feel necessary.
best regards from Godzone, chris nz :roll: :oops: :hat:

Used in Lagers and Ales where its slight resinous character builds to develop
an excellent bitterness. Mixes well with aroma varieties to create first rate
new-world and classic beer styles.
also
Brewers Notes: A very versatile hop in the brew house where it can be used to deliver a very
crisp bitter edge on the back palate as well as excellent aroma qualities. Like
most New Zealand varieties the exceptional oil profile sets it apart as a hop
with many applications. A mainstay in the New Zealand Brewing industry
since the mid 1970s' the Super Alpha can now be found in breweries
throughout the Asia Pacific region where it is sought for its ability to integrate
and finely balance many regional Ales and Lagers.
chris nz

Looks like you have a lovely american pale ale on the cards there.

If you are aiming for a final volume of 24L, then I'd go for more grain through - say 5kg and up your crystal malt to 500g.

I've just chucked everything into Beersmith and your beer is coming out at around 4.3%. Nothing wrong with that of course but APA would normally be around 5.5%

Here's my pennyworth, also I'm with you now on the Super Alpha.

First keep your yeast in the fridge and not the freezer. To use it let it warm up to room temperature and the rehydrate as per Danstar recommendations (see their website)

Notty can ferment quite dry so going for OG 1048 and FG 1010 will give ABV 5% and fo 24L at 74% efficiency

4730g Pale malt (96%)
150g Crystal (3%)
50g Amber malt (1%)

16g Super Alpha 13.1% AA 60mins 20IBU
50g Cascade 6.7% AA 15mins 15.8IBU
50g Cascade 6.7% AA 5mins 6.4IBU

thanks guys, the yeast has been in the freezer for 3 months now, it will still work?
best 1bottler

Latest posts

Back