WHEN TO USE CO2 OR NITRO OXIDE BULBS

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
JUST KEGGED MY IRISH STOUT LAST SUNDAY I HAVE 8 GRM NITRO OXIDE BULBS AS THERE SUPPOSED TO MAKE STOUT CREAMIER. WHEN DO I START TO ADD THE NITRO OXIDE TO THE STOUT. I HAVE KING KEG TOP TAP BARREL.

I use cornies so I wouldn't bother priming your kk with sugar gas straight away with your bulbs. never used king kegs before so not sure how much or how often to use mate sorry

mancer62 said:
JUST KEGGED MY IRISH STOUT LAST SUNDAY I HAVE 8 GRM NITRO OXIDE BULBS AS THERE SUPPOSED TO MAKE STOUT CREAMIER. WHEN DO I START TO ADD THE NITRO OXIDE TO THE STOUT. I HAVE KING KEG TOP TAP BARREL.
If you primed it last sunday then it will now be at full pressure so if you add the nitro then it will just come straight out the safety valve! If you wait until you have drunk some and the pressure has dropped a little then the nitro will probably sit on top of the liquid and just stop CO2 that is in the liquid from comming out!

I think you need to put the Keg in the fridge overnight to drop the pressure, add the nitro in the morning, give it a day or two for the nitro to get absorbed into the beer and then let it warm up again...

Nitrous oxide is NOT the same as the Nitrogen/CO2 used to dispense 'smooth flow' beers in pubs.

Nitrous oxide is used in whipped cream aerosoles and the likes and is also an anaesthetic, commonly known as laughing gas. :lol: :lol:

graysalchemy said:
Nitrous oxide is NOT the same as the Nitrogen/CO2 used to dispense 'smooth flow' beers in pubs.

Nitrous oxide is used in whipped cream aerosoles and the likes and is also an anaesthetic, commonly known as laughing gas. :lol: :lol:

Erm.. yes. I was making a joke ;)

it does beg the question... has anyone tried nitrous oxide (ie laughing gas)... ??

jonewer said:
graysalchemy said:

Erm.. yes. I was making a joke ;)

Wait a second let me get the Nitrous oxide so I can laugh.

I think perhaps you may need to work a little more on your delivery though, like make people aware that it is a joke.

Back on topic... you'll need to add CO2 to your keg when the pressure drops and the flow from the tap reduces. Be careful not to wait too long as you'll risk O2 glugging back in through the tap (not good).

I used to get about half way through a barrel before needing to add some CO2 and probably used 2-3 more to get it all out.

I realize it won't work as a laughing gas - I mean CAN you use it instead of N2 or CO2?? N2O (laughing gas) may be an interesting middle ground of the 2 'normal' beer gasses... or better yet, has anyone yet? i'll give it a shot at some point if not :)

No you can't use it instead of CO2 and N2 is used mixed with co2 usually.

CO2 adds to the flavour and mouth feel of beer, though over gassed beer tastes acidic so it is a balance.

Well nitrous oxide isn't what is used commecially in beer kegs so someone has got it wrong. Nitrogen or nitrogen /co2 mix is what is used.

graysalchemy said:
Well nitrous oxide isn't what is used commecially in beer kegs so someone has got it wrong. Nitrogen or nitrogen /co2 mix is what is used.

I'm not disputing you with regard to commercial gasses but in this case the original poster was asking specifically about 8 gram bulbs used for home brew kegs where the choice is either Carbon Dioxide CO2 or Nitrous Oxide N20

:cheers:

Yes but as we are all aware a lot of homebrew shops actually know didly squat about what they are selling.

If you google it you will see that it comes up on a lot of beer forums but it is always mistaking n20 for n2/co2 mix. I can't find any hard science supporting its use in beer. But if anyone does know of any then i stand corrected :hat: :hat:

Just about every home brew shop going sells N20 Nitrous Oxide bulbs in addition to regular Co2 ones... and not mistakenly typed nitrogen ones ... the same 'cream' N20 bulbs as on the links above ...

Latest posts

Back