WYEAST 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunfie

Regular.
Reaction score
As I am really happy with my latest Hefe using Safbrew WB-06 I decided to venture onto Hope and Grope last night and ordered some WYEAST 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat.

Has anyone else used it. How good is it?

Fantastic. I've used it and White Labs 300 which is supposedly the same strain, and they are very similar. Packed with banana and clove flavour, I use it on every hefe I make. I've never used the dried yeast you mention.

I've used it and it knocked spots of the Brewferm Blanche...it was very poor in comparison.
I did notice more esters from the 3068 when fermented warm than when fermented at 20 deg c.

Dunfie said:
Has anyone else used it. How good is it?

Really good, an one of the few yeast I have commercial brewers and home brews agree one as the best yeast of a particular beer

I've tried it at 17C as per Brewing Classic Styles and found it pretty disappointing and neutral, personally. Much prefer it up at 20C - dont take my word though, brew and try :D

I'll cast my vote for WLP380, I really liked all the wheaty beer flavours (technical term) when it was fermented around 18 at first and then ramped up slowly over a couple of days to 25 ish (possibly at mysterio's suggestion) and that gave a yeast flavour profile comparable to any proper wheat beer.

The body wasn't up to much but I addressed that with some caramalt in my latest attempt and it appears to have worked given what I drank out of the trial jar earlier on today :party:.

Has anyone else notices a very slight honey taste in Weihenstephan wheat beer? I did so I banged 300g of honey in my latest one and it appears to have paid off too!

Latest posts

Back