STRAWBERRY RIBENA WINE

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corby_brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Tonight im going to be starting my first strawberry ribena wine, what i have is a 1ltr bottle of strawberry ribena and a 1ltr carton of cranberry juice.

As anyone got a good recipe.

Thank in advance.
Davesiv

Well just finished the Strawberry Ribena wine. Ended up with a OG of 1.100. I followed this recipe, which was originaly posted by CHECKYMONKEY.

750 grams sugar
1 litre bottle strawberry ribena
1 litre asda cranberry juice

mixed sugar with ribena (and some of the cranberrie juice) and boiled gently for 15 mins in a pan to allow any preservatives to boil off and then skimmed scum off.

added a litre of cold water toMdemijohn, and the rest of the carton of cranberrie juice.
then added the sugar / ribena / cranberrie mix to the demijohn and topped up with water (to the shoulder only!)

allowed to cool to room temp
Then added :-
1 teaspoon of youngs yeast
1 teaspoon of youngs nutrient

SG 1.100

picked up 3 bottles of strawberry ribena today 24/10/09 from poundland £1 a bottle :clap: i have one thats sat clearing and a little test taste told me it was going to be a good un :thumb:

holly said:
picked up 3 bottles of strawberry ribena today 24/10/09 from poundland £1 a bottle :clap: i have one thats sat clearing and a little test taste told me it was going to be a good un :thumb:

Its definatly a good one, if anything its a little to good. Was planning on bottleing mine tomorrow but unfortunaly ive only got about 1/2 a bottle left in the DJ. But on the bright side im about to start a strawberry VIMTO wine.

davesiv said:
holly said:

Its definatly a good one, if anything its a little to good. Was planning on bottleing mine tomorrow but unfortunaly ive only got about 1/2 a bottle left in the DJ. But on the bright side im about to start a strawberry VIMTO wine.
ive got a vimto on the go at the moment had a little sample yesterday and that is very promising :thumb:

Im wanting to have a shot at this but I'm still fairly new to this whole brewing game. Was this an easy one to do? also how were you sure it had finished?

willamtarker said:
Wow. I love wine and bear. And STRAWBERRY RIBENA WINE .I am loving it. This weekend party at my home. You all are invited.. :cheers:

uh oh! look out for the hundreds of posts that are about to follow. ;)

Ive got one of these clearing at the moment ( i replaced the cranberry with plain white grape juice though) it should be ready to filter and bottle Sunday. Question is ive racked it off into a brown DJ to clear should I treat this as a RED and bottle it in brown botles or will it be ok in clear bottles :wha:

The batch i recently made i split it between brown and clear bottle. Ive still got the clear bottles n the kitchen and the wine hasnt lost any of itscolour. So in my honest opinion, i would say bottle it in what ever you want to.

Moley said:
But watch out for the bear.

haha love it.

On a more serious side, im gonna have to have a go at this one.

After the other 5-10 brewing projects before it. Damn this stuff is addictive .... as much as air itself!

corby_brewer said:
Well just finished the Strawberry Ribena wine. Ended up with a OG of 1.100. I followed this recipe, which was originaly posted by CHECKYMONKEY.

750 grams sugar
1 litre bottle strawberry ribena
1 litre asda cranberry juice

mixed sugar with ribena (and some of the cranberrie juice) and boiled gently for 15 mins in a pan to allow any preservatives to boil off and then skimmed scum off.

added a litre of cold water toMdemijohn, and the rest of the carton of cranberrie juice.
then added the sugar / ribena / cranberrie mix to the demijohn and topped up with water (to the shoulder only!)

allowed to cool to room temp
Then added :-
1 teaspoon of youngs yeast
1 teaspoon of youngs nutrient

SG 1.100

hi

gonna be trying this recipe this week! just wanted to ask a couple of questions first.

is it ok to use tap water and would i need to treat this with campden? or just boil it?
i have a tub of this link i think that it has nutrient in it will a tsp of this suffice? and is it a level or heaped tsp?
if i don't use cranberry juice will there be any significant loss of flavour or quality? i didnt fancy the cranberry because it has artificial sweeteners which are bad for you and i try and avoid em. is there a suitable alternative?

is there any need for tannins like in tc? oh and speaking of tc is the youngs yeast that i have suitable for tc??

sorry for all the questions!

many thanks in advance :thumb:

KJ :cheers:

kay-jay said:
is it ok to use tap water and would i need to treat this with campden? or just boil it?
Yes you can use tap water without treating it with camden tablets. With wine making there isnt any need to pre treat your tap water.

kay-jay said:
i have a tub of this link i think that it has nutrient in it will a tsp of this suffice? and is it a level or heaped tsp?
This is just a GP wine yeast. I use this but still add nutrient. I usualy use a heaped teaspoon full.

kay-jay said:
if i don't use cranberry juice will there be any significant loss of flavour or quality? i didnt fancy the cranberry because it has artificial sweeteners which are bad for you and i try and avoid em. is there a suitable alternative?
Ive made this wine with and without the cranberry juice and to be totaly honest there isnt reaily that much difference.

kay-jay said:
is there any need for tannins like in tc? oh and speaking of tc is the youngs yeast that i have suitable for tc??
if i was you i would add the tannin. :thumb: And again ive used the young GP yeast on TC and it turned out OK.

thanks corby,

do i need a tub of tannin powder or do i just use a couple of teabags in some hot water like i do with tc? how much do i use, and the tap water ...is it ok to use cold or need to be boiled?

sorry for being a pest but i really don't want to ruin it!

cheers mate

KJ :thumb:

Latest posts

Back