Cheap & Simple Tropical Punch - A BBQ MUST

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i'm new hear but you lot have got me thinking there are lots of concentrated drinks out there would ribena work? also instead of adding sugar after fermentation could you just add sweeteners? (splenda) :drunk:

Welcome new friend!

You can brew pretty much anything you like, there are great recipes for Ribena & Vimto on this site
but Id have to recomend my own "Raspberryade" as being simple to start off with :whistle:
The barley in these robinsons drinks is the secret to why they keep their flavour and body
and the fact that they already have artifical sweetner in at the right levels means you dont have to add any!

We add sugar after fermentation to get the drinks to be fizzy!
The sugar you add kick starts the yeast into action but instead of being after alcohol this time we want the CO2 that
it makes and when its in an airtight bottle this C02 will carbonate the drink!

This is why we only add 50g per 5L demijohn this much sugar will make a nice fizz,
if you put 500g of sugar in after fementation your bottles are very likely to explode :nono:
The adding of sugar at this stage is called PRIMING I strongly recomemend googling it if you still dont understand.

Splender or any artifical sweetner will not ferment so is used to sweeten the brew
but as in life nothings ever simple, adding two much sweetner will ruin your brew with its weird after tastes.
For example I just made a ginger beer and added only 3tsp for the 5L, I havent tasted it yet but I hope it goes some
way to warning you that you cant just throu sweenter in to get it sweet

Anyway I tried to keep things simple, any other questions feel free to ask
good luck with it! :drunk:

second2none said:
Welcome new friend!

You can brew pretty much anything you like, there are great recipes for Ribena & Vimto on this site
but Id have to recomend my own "Raspberryade" as being simple to start off with :whistle:
The barley in these robinsons drinks is the secret to why they keep their flavour and body
and the fact that they already have artifical sweetner in at the right levels means you dont have to add any!

We add sugar after fermentation to get the drinks to be fizzy!
The sugar you add kick starts the yeast into action but instead of being after alcohol this time we want the CO2 that
it makes and when its in an airtight bottle this C02 will carbonate the drink!

This is why we only add 50g per 5L demijohn this much sugar will make a nice fizz,
if you put 500g of sugar in after fementation your bottles are very likely to explode :nono:
The adding of sugar at this stage is called PRIMING I strongly recomemend googling it if you still dont understand.

Splender or any artifical sweetner will not ferment so is used to sweeten the brew
but as in life nothings ever simple, adding two much sweetner will ruin your brew with its weird after tastes.
For example I just made a ginger beer and added only 3tsp for the 5L, I havent tasted it yet but I hope it goes some
way to warning you that you cant just throu sweenter in to get it sweet

Anyway I tried to keep things simple, any other questions feel free to ask
good luck with it! :drunk:

Thanks i do understand it now and will soon be getting round to your raspberryade. i was given some turbo yeast from a friend but he used to make spirits can i use this for this sort of brew? if so do i just add the same amount?

Yeast reproduces itself in a warm sugary liquid,
therefor if you use one grain it will work but take longer.
Normaly a teaspoon of any type of yeast is enough and gets the job done fast enough, adding more is just wasting money.

As for it being turbo yeast I have never used it so cant answer that part
since you fement this brew all the way down anyway I guess there is no reason you shouldnt use them
but personally i would save turbo yeast for a special project as Youngs High alcohol wine yeast is only £3.70 for a
large pot on ebay and as a bonus it has yeast nutient in it meaning its very reliable and can take an awful lot of punnishment!
I got some and it arrived within two days....

This was the best price I could find it for online:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Youngs-Br...den_Food_SM&hash=item565508fa0d#ht_944wt_1141

I put a tropical and a strawberry and kiwi on last night. both starters were bubbling like crazy but both DJs this morning don't seem to be doing anything. I put my brew belt round them afew hours ago but still the same as of yet.

Does it matter if i don't add the nutrient ?. i want to put some on today but i go away for a few days so wont get chance to get the nutrient till next week.

Yeast nutrient is needed!!

But a little trick is you can use a couple of table spoons of lemon juice :thumb:
Should do the job nicely hehee now don't tell me you don't have lemon juice!!

second2none said:
Yeast nutrient is needed!!

But a little trick is you can use a couple of table spoons of lemon juice :thumb:
Should do the job nicely hehee now don't tell me you don't have lemon juice!!

Marmite and tomato puree also work.

Also got tropical & strawberry & kiwi going. Lovely smell & taste those Robinsons cordials especially when they're heated. Are we simmering tbe juice to get shot of the preservatives? I was worried that I didn't cook it long enough but all seems well - I have foam & bubbles & a great personality. However, I knocked up a brew last week made from Cherrygood & I've pulled it out of the brew cupboard 'cos its kicking out an eggy pong & I don't know why. The fermentation was severe! Last night it was one bubble per second but its calmed to one in ten now & the stink has eased but I reckon its still there, just not being pumped out as much. It isn't 'dirty dishes' 'cos I used the same cleaning regime as usual & nothing else is eggy so WTF? Maybe there isn't anything wrong just a reaction to that particular brand? I searched 'eggy' on here & theres a lot of eggy chat but no reasons why. Any ideas or cures fellas?

Ahhhh! Sulphur... Well at least it ain't life threatening. Thanks. Its been six days so I reckon give it a couple more & then rack it & see.

Like the sound of this, as does the missus... Just wondering though, I'm putting on a couple of wows in a day or so, what's the thoughts on using a bottle or half in a batch to give a fruity twist to the wine???

motomaniac said:
Like the sound of this, as does the missus... Just wondering though, I'm putting on a couple of wows in a day or so, what's the thoughts on using a bottle or half in a batch to give a fruity twist to the wine???

I don't see any reason why not, part of the fun is just trying different things, give it a bash, and then you can let us all know how it goes! :thumb:

Yes just don't forget to boil the squash first!!

Have Reyes it with welses grape&pear was nice but I added too much sugar and it was super alcoholy

second2none said:
Yes just don't forget to boil the squash first!!

Have Reyes it with welses grape&pear was nice but I added too much sugar and it was super alcoholy

When you say super alcoholy, do you know what ABV?
How did this affect the taste?
I ask because i said I would make some of this for the GF once my exams are over, and her housemates asked if i could make a fairly strong batch for an exams after party punch type drink. I said in theory the recipe would be scalable but i didn't know how this would affect the taste.

Was about 10% but thought it was about 4% until reflection the next day how we got so drunk so fast!

Tasted goood I like that welses stuff but don't really like my brews that strong!!
Was more like a fizzy wine than a alcopop :)

second2none said:
Was about 10% but thought it was about 4% until reflection the next day how we got so drunk so fast!

Tasted goood I like that welses stuff but don't really like my brews that strong!!
Was more like a fizzy wine than a alcopop :)

Agreed. No more dicking about with TC prison hooch for me too. Its just too killer & unrefined. I don't usually get hangovers but after today's 'newbie in off licence' experience I'm gonna 'fess up & admit to a gutwrenching headf**k that I don't want to repeat.

What size are these Demi johns? Are they 5l? Also in the instructions it says about wine yeast, are there variants say for white and red? Or is a universal one ok?

buddy87 said:
What size are these Demi johns? Are they 5l? Also in the instructions it says about wine yeast, are there variants say for white and red? Or is a universal one ok?

As a general rule, demijohn = 5L and carboy = 23L.

Unless you're aiming for a specific type of wine, a general purpose wine yeast is usually a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back