wilko.com sale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BarnsleyBrewer said:
Bet they've lost a fortune on this 50% reduction sale :hmm: :hmm:
We're like a plague of locusts where discounted brewing stuffs concerned.. :rofl:

BB :drink:

Defo even had my mum collecting mine

Kinleycat said:
Will the online highstreet and big boys kill the brewshops?
That's going to depend on how many of the brewshops customers regularly read the brewing forums.

Even if I'm not really after any brewing info I will still always check into this forum at least every other day specifically to see if there are any offers on anywhere as I know they will be posted here.

Without this place I wouldn't have known about the £12 woodfordes kits at Dunhelm a few months back and I wouldn't have known about the Wilkinson offer either.

I can't really afford not to keep my eye on this place.

hoofy said:
I'm wondering what effect this sale is going to have on all the small home brew shops.

I always used my lhbs with Wherry at £22 even though I knew I could get it for £18 at Wilko's but at £9 I just couldn't really justify my loyalty to my lhbs.

I stocked up with about 6 months worth of kits so that's one customer my lhbs isn't going to see for a long time and I bet there are plenty of others who have done the same with the offer being talked about on all the brewing forums.

I don't really have a LHBS - just an internet shop that doesn't have a great range but it is near my mate's place. The only other option is in Ealing and is really overpriced for stock that doesn't look that new and whose range is pretty poor.

If LHBS want to survive, they have to go not for price, but quality/quantity. Wilko doesn't do Wheat beers that I want to drink, so I'll have to order online (in lieu of going to a shop). Same goes for different yeasts etc. I'd prefer to buy from a shop rather than online, as I can ask someone in person, rather than asking on here, waiting for an answer, seeing a debate unfold that disputes the first answer, making my mind up, ordering it, paying for postage and waiting 3 days for the post office to lose it.

Wilko has been great for me, as I'm a new brewer, but I'm the kind of person who likes to push the envelope as soon as I can. Hell, my fourth brew had added extras in it, so going to a shop and getting loads of choice to improve my brews would be amazing! In reality most people will be 99% happy with the stuff Wilko is selling and are more likely to take a risk on home brewing if the kits are cheaper. In the end the result is a bigger pool of carp for LHBS to fish in, so I'm not convinced it will be a problem for them in the long term.

</2p worth>

Templar said:
hoofy said:
I'm wondering what effect this sale is going to have on all the small home brew shops.

I always used my lhbs with Wherry at £22 even though I knew I could get it for £18 at Wilko's but at £9 I just couldn't really justify my loyalty to my lhbs.

I stocked up with about 6 months worth of kits so that's one customer my lhbs isn't going to see for a long time and I bet there are plenty of others who have done the same with the offer being talked about on all the brewing forums.

I don't really have a LHBS - just an internet shop that doesn't have a great range but it is near my mate's place. The only other option is in Ealing and is really overpriced for stock that doesn't look that new and whose range is pretty poor.

If LHBS want to survive, they have to go not for price, but quality/quantity. Wilko doesn't do Wheat beers that I want to drink, so I'll have to order online (in lieu of going to a shop). Same goes for different yeasts etc. I'd prefer to buy from a shop rather than online, as I can ask someone in person, rather than asking on here, waiting for an answer, seeing a debate unfold that disputes the first answer, making my mind up, ordering it, paying for postage and waiting 3 days for the post office to lose it.

Wilko has been great for me, as I'm a new brewer, but I'm the kind of person who likes to push the envelope as soon as I can. Hell, my fourth brew had added extras in it, so going to a shop and getting loads of choice to improve my brews would be amazing! In reality most people will be 99% happy with the stuff Wilko is selling and are more likely to take a risk on home brewing if the kits are cheaper. In the end the result is a bigger pool of carp for LHBS to fish in, so I'm not convinced it will be a problem for them in the long term.

</2p worth>

Where are you based? I also went to the ealing shop and although they have bits'n'pieces, I probably wont be going back there. Their stock is all by a window and some of it looks like its been there a while (faded, sunbleached packets).

needed some caps for my bottles,so popped down the road to wilko's, so depressing having to pay full price :(

the newkie brown, hoppy copper bitter, pilsner and golden lager are all still £10, looks as though the golden ale, wherry, and the geordie range have all gone up in price :(

mikeyjay84 said:
Where are you based? I also went to the ealing shop and although they have bits'n'pieces, I probably wont be going back there. Their stock is all by a window and some of it looks like its been there a while (faded, sunbleached packets).

I live in Hangar Lane. No LHBS that I'm aware of. The BiggerJugs website is based somewhere near Watford from memory. That's the nearest I'm aware of.

Latest posts

Back