screw wine bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, (for still wine) the caps last two or three brews usualy before they need replacing, No good for use with corks or fizzy liquids though.

I've used them for years and have had no problems putting a cork in them. In fact I've never re-used the screw caps, I've always put a cork in.

A friend of mine uses screw top wine bottles and just corks them , he seems to have no problems with them

What I've always read here is that many, if not all, screw topped bottles have a slightly larger diameter neck so at least some corks aren't a very good fit.
Anyway, you can re-use the existing caps a few times and there are now new screwtops available for such bottles. Somebody here was selling them a while back.

I was told the screw top necks are a thinner glass than cork top necks, so there's a chance you might crack the glass if you force a cork into it.

Not sure how true it was though.

I'm guessing as this is in the "beer brewing discussions" section you mean for beer?

You can, but you need to be very careful, as they are thin glass designed for flat wines not carbonated beers. I've used them before to take brews on holiday, but only as a short-term thing for a few weeks. Put a minimal amount of sugar in, just to generate a bit of CO2, if you carbonate as normal and pressure builds up, there's a risk of them exploding. :shock:

Yes you can re use screw top bottles for still wine. The metal cap that comes with the bottle can be reused but has a limited life as the metal deforms as you screw it on. Resulting in a poor seal. However there is a new option for replacing caps. See HERE

PS I've moved the post into wine & cider discussions as it seemed more appropriate. :thumb:

I reuse them often because they're so common, cork them too.

I've had one which had a minor breakage (tiny bit of the threaded part came away when pulling the cork) but it was still drinkable.

Latest posts

Back