Black IPA with a kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ_Rowley

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had an idea about making a black ipa. I couldn't find anyting on the interweb about it so thought I woild put it to you lot and see if it would be the worst idea.

My idea was to get a one can ipa kit then get some dark malt extract whether it be spray malt or liquid. Then dry hop the hell out of it. I have 400g of amarillo, 100g of magnum and 50g if cascade. Now obviously not use all if that but those are my options for dry hopping.

Has anyone done anything like this or would it not work?

Cheers
Aj_Rowley

I think if I was going to try and turn an IPA kit to a Black IPA I would use light malt extract and get colour from cold steeping some Black Patent Malt or Roasted barley. If it is cold steeped it will not release too much flavour but will give the colour. Amount wise (at a complete guess) i would go for about 200-300g in as much of the brewing water as possible.

Dry hopping I would go with a mix of all 3, maybe 20g of each for 3-4 day post fermentation.

Ah right. So if I was going to steep some malt for colour then woukd it be better to get a 2 can kit?

Rob (the malt miller see sponsor links) has sinimar (spelling?) (from weyermann) which is dehusked black malt extract in liquid form. It will do the job with less roasty/burnt taste.
F

I did a black IPA using a better brew kit, light DME, 250g carafa special black malt cold steeped for 8 hours in a litre of water. I boiled the black malt water with 30g of cascade for 15mins & then dry hopped with another 30g Cascade after primary fermentation.

Turned out pretty good!

Thanks for the tips guys. As always great help. Might try the cold steep method. Did you do an hour boil?

ceejam said:
I did a black IPA using a better brew kit, light DME, 250g carafa special black malt cold steeped for 8 hours in a litre of water. I boiled the black malt water with 30g of cascade for 15mins & then dry hopped with another 30g Cascade after primary fermentation.

Turned out pretty good!

That sounds like it would work rather nicely!

If you wanted more hop punch then going for 10 and 5 minute additions of hops to the mini-boil would really make a difference - say three additions of 15g each...

I think you should go all grain or at least partial mash. You'll need loads of hops for something like that. I'd stick 100g of good hops in the last 15m of boil (15m, 5m, 0m) and another 100g to dry-hop. Plus some bittering addition and maybe an addition at the 30m or 20m mark. Just made something along the lines this evening but with half a kilo of roast barley (I do like more roast flavour, not just colour) and 50g EKG at 30m, 25g Nugget and 25g Citra at 10m, 25g Citra and 50g Amarillo at 5m, and to be dry-hopped with Citra and Cascade. OG a bit low at 1.053 but hoping for good attenuation between the yeast and a sugar addition.

I am in the process of building my 3v system. But with twin 11 month olds and a 2 year old its hard to find the time. So I was just thinking of getti g a kit on the go as my stockbof home brew is running low

Just FYI, I did a coopers APA with 1kg of muntons dark spraymalt (plus 250g of white sugar to boost the ABV%). The colour came out as more of an amber than black like a stout or porter

Back