Fiery Ginger Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've decided to make some of this up as part of the first few things I try, my thinking being that this will be more than ready in time from Christmas :) does anyone have a more polished recipe than the original or is the original the way to go? I quite like the old Jamaican Ginger beer from the supermarket but I find it a bit thin, would glycerine improve that as others have mentioned (I've just been skimming through the thread)

Cheers,

Newbie brewer

IceColdRum said:
So I've decided to make some of this up as part of the first few things I try, my thinking being that this will be more than ready in time from Christmas :) does anyone have a more polished recipe than the original or is the original the way to go? I quite like the old Jamaican Ginger beer from the supermarket but I find it a bit thin, would glycerine improve that as others have mentioned (I've just been skimming through the thread)

Cheers,

Newbie brewer

I didn't have Glycerine when I started the original recipe. I have pretty much followed the original but for a gallon instead of 5. I used a bit more sugar and it tastes strong (I like strong). It's my first ever home made brew and it even tastes drinkable tonight. This I'm sure will improve with time. Why not try a smaller batch first and make up your mind?

How is the ginger beer turning out? I've just started a ginger wine and would love to try a good strength ginger beer. I've tried making it from a ginger beer plant but I don't think it's quite the same.

I'm very pleased with the way mine turned out. Only got 8 bottles left :whistle: It's so simple and easy to make with outstanding results. I ended up with 34 pints of delicious 6% ginger beer for around 8 quid. Gonna try some with oranges replacing the limes. This is now my stock brew and there'll always be some bubbling away somewhere in the house :cheers:

LeedsBrewer said:
just started a 2G batch

400g ginger
2 tsp ground dry ginger
400g oranges
1kg sugar
yeast nutrient
cream of tartar

OG only came out at 1.034 so it'll be a little less than i was hoping for at around 5% but should still be nice. the hydrometer sample tasted nice, though to be honest i've never been a big fan of ginger beer. Wanted to give it a go though. Looking forward to a glass or two in the summer. :thumb:

Turns out, this was my best brew of the year. Sad it's all gone now.

So, I started another batch of this today. This time I've substituted the limes in my original recipe for oranges. The smell is amazing :thumb:

Ingredients all ready to go. 2 kilos of fresh root ginger (2 quid per kilo from asda), 2 lemons and 3 oranges (zest and juice) and 2.6 kilos of sugar.

Ginger all grated and simmering away with the lemon and orange bits

23 litres all tucked up in it's nice warm bucket on the kitchen table. Yeast pitched at 70 degrees, cream of tartar added and all stirred in. O.G. 1.040, right on target for 6%

I've just bottled 2 gallons of this and I have to say it's not that bad if just a little dry, I made 2 little alterations in that I used golden castor sugar ( which has added to the colour ) and I threw in around 4oz of mixed dried fruit to the boiling pot that was sitting in the cooking cupboard. Next time I might be tempted to throw in a few ripe bananas as well as mixed fruit as I feel that's the sort of flavour that could enhance it.

It definitely benefits from a teaspoon of splenda in each bottle. Totally transforms it :cheers:

My first batch is now all gone. Was my first attempt and I have only started brewing.

Was a little curious so bottled in a couple of big bottles and a few little ones which I tasted at different stages.

I didn't get the carbonation I wanted, probably due to being impatient. The little bottles tasted nice at first, went the other way and didn't taste nice. After a week though it really changed and I couldn't help myself and opened the big bottles.

A nice refreshing taste and a nice buzz after drinking 2 litres. I'm sure I'll improve next time. That next time will perhaps be today, bought some dark brown sugar so it might look a little more like beer than ginger beer, worth a try and all part of the fun of experimentation.

Was going to give this a try as my first brew. Was thinking of doing a 1gallon batch in a DJ. Just a few questions
I have dried active yeast and beer yeast from wilkinsons - which one should I use?
I don't want it really Strong maybe 3 to 4% ABV - how to I achieve a lower abv?
Do I add the splenda in each bottle or can I do it as a batch? Do I need a secondary DJ to do it as a batch?

Thanks for the help! :thumb:
Jacob

Grotzilla said:
Can wilkos universal wine yeast be used? I have 2 spare sachets or is it specifically champagne yeast?
I have some wilkos wine yeast so will be interested to hear the answer because I could use that.

Hi, I am a newbie...so please forgive idiocy! I followed this recipe..very clearly explained and am about ready to put it in a barrel. As yet, despite being down to around 1015 it has no real body. Can I blend something in to make it a little more flavoursome? It does taste like ginger ale at the moment, even though the abv is going to be around 5 by now.
I note your comments about mixing it with spirits, but Nursey doesn't let me have those, as apparently I get nasty. No idea what she means.

I've used Youngs Super Wine yeast for a cocuple of my brews, they were good, but they weren't as good as the ones I've used champagne yeast in :)

Well got it done now. Used died active yeast In the end. Home it all works out ok. Was a bit of a faf trying to get it into the DJ due to all the solids.
Will post a picture when its done.

What i was thinking of trying is to let the ginger beer ferment out then kill off the yeast.
Back sweeten with more sugar to taste and possibly more ground ginger if required.
Syphon into corney and force carb it do you think it would work ?.

Did the original recipe apart from the substitution of 300g of sugar for light spray malt. It was bubbling along very nicely for 4 days but has now slowed up considerably but it is only at around 3% I would like it at least twice that :whistle: can I chuck some more sugar in or should I just leave it for longer there is a small amount of action and I have beet trying to put the heating on more often :D. Thanks for any help

Started this off on Friday 15th November, used the Recipe from page 1, looking forward to the results, smells bloody awesome!
and already bubbling away like mad :grin:

Hi Guys,

I am new to Home brew so please forgive me if this is a really obvious question,

I want to make a batch of this (who wouldn't) but here is my question....

My farther can't have anything fizzy due to having surgery on his gut, can i make a batch of this and leave some bottles flat when bottling, if so do i need a stabilizer for it ( ie will it start fizzing in his guts if he has some sugar after :lol:

your help would be great

many thanks

Back