Blue Moon style kit recipe anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeg3

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm looking to do something in the style of Blue Moon for my next brew; ie a wheat beer with orange and coriander flavouring.

I realise that I'm not going to get an exact clone, but can anyone recommend a particular kit and a recipe?

I'm thinking of a Brewferm Tarwebier or Coopers Wheat as a starting point.

Coopers wheat isn't very cloudy and isn't far off lager. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but that's what it is.

The tarwebier may be better. But i'm not sure on the kits other than that. You're really looking for a white belgian beer, if that's possible in kit form.

After that you'll want to boil the kit up with a big lumped handful of Corainder seeds (cracked but not crushed) and plenty of orange peel. If you want to use normal orange peel, roast it in the oven on a low temp for 10 mins and it will remove the bitterness from the pithe.

That's about it really, how close you will get exactly i'm not sure - but blue moon is so orangey that I would tempted to add maybe 3-4L of orange juice to the fv!

I currently have a Brewferm Tarweissbier in primary (been in for two weeks at 18 - 20') and I added dried curacao orange peel and coriander seeds in a muslin bag to the boiled water with the sugar dissolved in it, no idea how it will turn out but I'll let you know if you can wait that long ;)
I think I'm going to put it into a second vat to settle next week then bottle the week after that, then the hard part of leaving it be until spring :hmm:

Latest posts

Back