Brewing with chocolate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyakameatloaf

Regular.
Reaction score
I've seen many recipes involving chocolate that call for caoco/cocoa nibs and Lactose.

after looking into it, I think I'd like to use cocoa powder and lactose, but I have a couple of questions.

First, where can I get ahold of Lactose from that isn't the internet? I've been everywhere looking for it. Supermarkets, health food shops and they only seem to have lactase enzyme, which as I understand is used to break down lactose.

second, I've read that fat is bad for beer. if chocolate or cocoa powder contains fat does this mean I can't use it? What brands would be acceptable?

Thanks

never used chocolate or nibs in a brew and yes fat and oils aint good, but as I understand it the amount you use in the brew would not be a problem
I get my Lactose ( for milk/sweet stouts ) from the malt miller ( forum sponsor ) Otherwise have you tried health food shops Holland and barrett etc ?

Yeah tried Holland & Barrat and various other health food shops, they only seem to stock Lactase Enzyme, for those who are lactose intolerant.

Would it be possible to brew using chocolate powder without Lactose then? I'm not gonna be able to get my hands on any before Friday and I'm averse to paying for postage if that's all I'm buying.

Latest posts

Back