Removing bottle labels there has to be an easy way right?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your method

• Hair dryer

• Pour boiling water into inside of bottle

• Dish washer

• Soak in hot soapy solution

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

love6060

Reaction score
Ok so I have a wine bottle it's a bottle non the less which needs its labels removed, I soaked in soapy water and started to peel it of, leaving behind the glue. There has to be an easier way. so I did some research and found this.

http://www.creativejewishmom.com/20...from-wine-bottles-glass-jars-demystified.html

Makes sense!

Then I remember I ride motorcycles and the way to remove motorcycle decals you don't like is with a hair dryer reason being you don't want to scratch your amazing finish on your bike right. So I thought some one else has got to do this so I research this.

http://m.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Jar-Label

As it turns out they do!

The method of boiling water and pouring it into the inside of the bottle I am not to sure on, I seen a video of a women removing a label using this method but it left the glue on the bottle.

So what's your method!

Labels and adhesives vary and there can be no one definitive answer.

If a label doesn't soak off in hot water, or any residual glue doesn't come off cleanly using a stainless steel scouring pad, I rarely bother with any solvents but return the bottle to the recycling bin.

i soak my bottles in a bucket of hot water and oxy overnight then use a bowl of hot water and a brilo pad to get any glue that might be left. for plastic labels i use them as they are and put my lable on top or put them in the recycle

when sticking labels back on use milk as glue and it will easy next time round.

Moley said:
Labels and adhesives vary and there can be no one definitive answer.

If a label doesn't soak off in hot water, or any residual glue doesn't come off cleanly using a stainless steel scouring pad, I rarely bother with any solvents but return the bottle to the recycling bin.

+1

Bottles (wine and beer) only get one chance to be part of my collection. If the labels don't come off after a ten minute soak in hot soapy water (soda crystals), they get a trip to the bottle bin.

I voted other as rather than rely on a method I buy German bottles (for beer) as they are recycled and the label falls off no matter what you use.

As already said, labels and adhesives vary... what works for the label on the front of a bottle might not work for the one on the back, and might not work for the next bottle you try from the same brewery.

However, a 24-hour soak in Oxyclean is pretty good against some of the more challenging labels I've encountered.

I just soak in hot water. Some come off easier than others, but in the main, they just peel clean off once the glue has melted.

Now that I've built up a decent supply of bottles, I'm not prepared to put in much effort. I chuck them in hot soapy water and leave overnight. A lot of labels just float off or leave glue that comes off easily with the rough side of a washing-up sponge. Anything more than that and I recycle instead.

I've found it varies alot from bottle to bottle.

Some peel off dry - which can be helped by warming them in the oven.
Some benefit from soaking, but for some that can be the worst thing to do. The label turns to mush but the glue isn't affected.

For all, the most sure-fire way is white spirit. Soak some onto a wad of kitchen towel and then rub it over the label or glue residue.

Latest posts

Back