AG#3 Shoot the Moon (Blue Moon Clone)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makebeerbehappy

Reaction score
Hopefully be brewing this on Sunday after I've bottled AG#1.

Shoot The Moon (Blue Moon Clone)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 11.00 l
Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Est Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Est Bitterness: 16.5 IBUs
Est Color: 6.6 EBC
Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Ingredients

1.00 kg Wheat Malt 40.0 %
0.62 kg Lager Malt 25.0 %
0.62 kg Maris Otter 25.0 %
0.25 kg Oats, Flaked 10.0 %

15.00 g Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 mins)
6.00 g Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins)

25.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.5 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Mash Profile

Saccharification 66°C for 90 minutes
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

Hi , not sure if Blue moon uses a witbier strain of yeast , i would of thought so . Try T 58 dried yeast for this . I would also use around 20g of orange peel as you get a more hoegaarden drink around 15 g would be needed for this but blue moon is heavy on the orange so you'll need more than 6g . Good luck with it . :thumb:

Thanks for the input. The recipe is based off of details from one of the guys that was involved with the original recipe over on HomeBrewTalk. He specifically states to use a clean neutral yeast as the flavour should come from the coriander and orange and not the yeast.

I think you might be right that it could do with a bit more orange. The original recipe asks for a coriander to orange ratio of 3:1 and I tried to scale it from the original 15BBL amounts, but maybe a linear conversion won't quite work. Is the suggested 20g based on the 11L or a full batch? Also, I didn't mention in the original post but I'm using dried sweet orange peel. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Cheers.

The chap who re started Hoegaarden back in the 1960's Celis White after some time for several reasons he moved on and set up Celis White and he also started or helped with Blue moon ( i don't think he's involved anymore , apart from he died last year :( ) and so from that way of thinking i would of thought a tart yeast would be used but that's just me thinking about it . It is quite sweet and orangey but still not sure a neutral ale yeast would do it . The amount was for a 11 liter batch btw .

Wow, I'm starting to get really confused now! The recipes from His Blog are way different than the information provided over on BrewTalk by one of the coors Brew Masters Wayne.

Blue Moon Belgian White was first sold commercially as Belly Slide Belgian White at the SandLot Brewery at Coors Field during the 1995 opening season.

We did do a little fine tuning of the recipe, which was developed by Dr. Keith Villa of Coors R&D. Mostly to do with the ratio of Orange Peel to Corriander.

The amounts of grains we used are roughly:
50% 2 row pale malt. (The first couple of batches were made with Great Western)
40% white wheat malt
10% flaked oats.

Hallertauer Mittelfrueh hops were added for a 90 minute boil. Bittering should be around 17.5 IBU. Only one addition.

Blue Moon has always used pre-ground corriander and Valencia orange peel. Keith did not want the bitterness of Curacao oranges. He preferred the sweetness of the ground Valencia.

Try 1.25 tsp of ground corriander added to the kettle 10 minutes before the end of boil. This is for a 5-6 gallon batch.

Add 0.33tsp of ground Valencia orange peel 5 minutes before the end of boil.

The Chico strain would work well in this recipe. You want a neutral taste from the yeast. Keith has said that the flavors that should come through are the orange peel and corriander, not the yeast.

Be careful when lautering. I have made this recipe and some variations of it in three different pubs, with three different systems. I usually have trouble and end up sticking the mash. Run off very slowly.

The original thread is here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/

Maybe the recipe has been tinkered with since Wayne left. It might be interesting to try both recipes and compare.

Back