Juicing apples..Freeze/Thaw?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviec_lj

Reaction score
Barr purchasing a large number of airlocks, and of course some friendly chemicals...mwuhahahaha..now now, pull it together Steve!! I'm ready to be throwing together a number of "first brews".

I've got my eye on a couple of WOW's, and I'm still looking for a child friendly brew so the kids have something special for Christmas.

Unfortunately at the moment I don't have a scratter or juice press, but I've got some stainless spare so will be making them at the next available opportunity, BUT, I read somewhere that chopping the apples in half and freezing that will break down the cell wall structure.

Then dumping the frozen apple pieces into an FV of suitable size, along with some boiled water will remove the juice, or most of it. Straining through muslin cloth will yield more.

Hopefully this is a satisfactory method of juicing?

All that leaves me to do is figure out sugar/honey ratio's and conversions. Hoping to get a Toffee Apple wine or cider..

Hi don't know if im to late but freezing then thawing a couple of times is usually sufficient or invest in a juicer. I use the cookworks from Argos one (bout £20ish) works really well I find. Or soak the fruit in dry sugar to extract the juice add boiling water after a week then dump it all in the fv. (with a campden tablet).

Latest posts

Back