total novice from devon says hi and help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexdg

Reaction score
Hi All, this week I have taken my first trip into the world of home brewing ! chicken that I am I have just started 3 wine kits to see how they go, but am fascinated with the idea of alcoholic ginger beer (got a plant on the go ) but need some advice before I risk blowing the house up so if anyone can help give me a shout.
Also really like the idea of the WOW juice but hate orange , can I use anything at all ??
I should be ready to bottle my first wine kit in the next few days, so also need to know do I have to store the bottle in a wine rack on their side ??

sorry for so many questions but really haven't reached the level of idiot yet !!

Hello and welcome. I'm hoping to try my first WOW type wine over the next couple of months. Look forward to reading your posts on yours too.

I wish the original wow had been made with something other than orange juice, I realise some members like it but am sure if we had a poll it would be way down most people's list of favourites.

Any hints or tips very welcome :) I have 2 cartons pure apple and mango in cupboard I keep eyeing and a litre of cherry juice drink can I use these or do I have to add grape juice??

I made a very acceptable juice wine that was simply 4 litres blueberry juice topped up to a gallon and with a small amount of extra sugar plus yeast compound. I tried apple juice in the same way but was a bit bland and dissapointing.

Any hints or tips very welcome :) I have 2 cartons pure apple and mango in cupboard I keep eyeing and a litre of cherry juice drink can I use these or do I have to add grape juice??

You may have missed my earlier reply so I will give you the short version.

One litre of Grape juice and a litre of another juice plus glycerine will give you something that tastes and has mouth feel similar to wine, juice drink on its own will give you alcopop,.

Thanks Chippy :) may try that as am rather partial to alco pops !! Thanks all, am having real fun with this, at the mo have 3 wine kits on the go and a peach Schnapps but want to experiment a bit, first wine kit should be ready in 24 hours ish so looking forward to a taste !

thanks all I can see I am going to be very busy and some what busy :) one last question, can I ferment alcoholic ginger beer in a demijohn for a while instead of individual bottles ??

Back