Sulphur Smell, Battery Acid Taste - Not Impressed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviec_lj

Reaction score
Everything was spotless before starting.

DJ one, is/was an Orange WOW. Started 03/10.
DJ two, is/was an Orange & Mango WOW. Started 03/10.

Both stink of sulphur, not a little, a lot! The front room is uninhabitable because of the smell.

Tasted both of them this evening too, and after what I've experienced, battery acid would be like drinking tea compared to these.

I've got a hydrometer, but no trial jar unfortunately, so it's a bit useless at the moment.

I've racked the Orange WOW into another DJ, added Fermentation Stopper and a Campden Tablet, clutching at straws potentially as I fear it is too late.

Both were fine yesterday afternoon, as the Mrs commented on the lovely aroma. They seem to have "turned" overnight, although I do understand a little Sulphur is given off during fermentation.

I don't think I've really got much to lose, there's around £2.50 in juice gone in to each of them, and probably 1.5kg of sugar across the pair, so probably £7 in ingredients. I would have had to puchase the yeast, campden, etc anyway.

Question is, what would cause it to turn so quickly?

Both have been producing bubbles quite contently, on the table.

Don't know about the sulphur smell but as to the acid - well oranges are really acid anyway, but fresh oranges or juice have that acidity masked by sugars. Well you've just fermented away all the sugars so what you're left with is the acid !
Remember also that the nicest oranges go for eating while the **** ones get juiced. And if you used `value' juice that's even more so.

A lack of nutrients can cause this, I use young super wine yeast compound which already has it but always add a teaspoon to be on the safe side.

So, it sounds like its about fit for the sink to be fair. In essence it sounds like it's fermented for too long, although, watching the WOW videos back, it can't have done.

I added a teaspoon of youngs yeast nutrient, wilko gervin yeast, glycerine and pectolase, with a mug of strong tea at the beginning too.

Maybe two teaspoons of nutrient next time..

For the time being, I'll try the submersion of copper to absorb some of the sulphur.

Latest posts

Back